none
Multidimensional is Left Out in the Cold RRS feed

• General discussion

• I find that,  whenever I do any work on my Multidimensional Analysis Services project,  the tools and features are unchanged from what they were five years ago.  That would be OK if everyone thought what we have is perfect, but there are numerous issues and they are never being addressed.

I think Microsoft's Analysis Services team got so side-tracked on PowerPivot, Tabular, PowerView, SharePoint, Azure, etc. that those of us who manage normal data warehouses and normal multidimensional cubes are now left totally out in the cold.

The plugin available in V.S. for managing normal multidimensional projects is pretty poor, and many of us have been patiently suffering with it for a very long time.  Whenever I go to enhance our data warehouse and cubes, I spend the most of my time fighting against the Analysis Services development tools.  These tools require an extreme amount of discipline to use correctly because they are either buggy, or rough around the edges, or they don't have obvious features that they should.  Areas that are especially shabby:

•DSV's (auto scrambling, <ALL TABLES> mess, refresh table or diagram, etc)
    •Script management (Maintaining those general-purpose script sections)
    •"Linked" objects (re-linking after every change? "statically" linked?  really?)
    •Version control management (can you help us out here? Plz hide those silly design-time
    guids and don't keep jacking up my diffs with unintentional diagram changes)
    •Aggregation design
    •Hiding implementation details (eg. the whole world doesn't really need to
    know about my measure groups)
    •etc.

Is there some ETA on when Microsoft will get around to any of this stuff?  Every Microsoft Connect that is opened in regards to multidimensional fails to "reach the bar" and doesn't warrant any fixes.  I don't know why people bother writing those up anymore. (As a side, SSAS multidimensional development is a niche and even getting just 10 votes can be an accomplishment.)

I think we're getting to the point where BI decision-makers will start automatically pushing back on requirements for multidimensional cubes.  The level of investment in this area from Microsoft is pretty uninspiring, to say the least.

Does anyone else see a lack of support on multidimensional?  Are there third-party plugins yet to develop/manage Analysis Services schema?  Is there a constructive way to prompt Microsoft to make some improvements?

David

(The lack of investment in multidimensional goes beyond development tools, although that is where it is certainly the most obvious.  Even the underlying query engine has issues that continue to persist from version-to-version : https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/349472/unnatural-hierarchies-perform-worse-than-expected)

Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:29 PM

All replies

• Please vote for some direction to be provided from Microsoft on the future of Analysis Services (multidimensional).

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/802259/analysis-services-multidimensional-bug-fixes-and-future-direction

David Beavon

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Well, You can/have to do everything within Excel because more people use Excel or (Office) than any other self serve BI tool. That's where the market and $$$$'s  is. :)

PowerPivot, DM addintool (seriously?? have you tried R or SAS?) , GeoFlow, blah, blah, now Office 365/PowerBI
    I cannot even remember half of Excel based tool ..It's like the different R libraries..

Well, I guess I don't have any choice. But I completely feel you.

Julie.

• Edited by Julie Chang Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:51 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:50 PM
  • An update on this.  Microsoft does not currently want to hear any of this customer feedback on CONNECT.  The CONNECT posting was made private/hidden.  (No wonder it had stopped getting any new votes... )

If/when they allow us to vote in regards to the future of Analysis Services MD, I'll post a new link...

David Beavon

Friday, November 15, 2013 11:05 PM