none
SELECT permission denied on object 'database object', database 'databasename', owner 'dbo'.

Question

• I have created a sql login account called "webuser"  and has given public role in my database. In my asp.net application i build connection string using above account and its password . We give permission on store procedure for for the above account to execute .We dont give table level permission for the above account . When we run the application with the above settings it runs fine on test server . However Now i have transfered the databse object to live server with its permissions . Now while I executing the aspx page , I am getting above error . I have checked that the store procedure has execute permission for webuser account and dbo(i.e SA) has all the permissions for all database objects . Still why i am getting error ? (Please note , the thing is working fine in test server)

Pl help

Regards

Monday, March 27, 2006 2:17 PM

Answers

• if the owner of the stored procedure is different from the one of the table, this will break the ownership chain, having the need for the webuser to have also permissions on the underlying tables.

HTH, jens Suessmeyer

Monday, March 27, 2006 3:55 PM

All replies

• if the owner of the stored procedure is different from the one of the table, this will break the ownership chain, having the need for the webuser to have also permissions on the underlying tables.

HTH, jens Suessmeyer

Monday, March 27, 2006 3:55 PM
  • Thanks ...Owner of all the tables is dbo and owners of all the store procedures is also dbo .My asp.net application is using connection string of webuser . The dbo will automatically have ownership of all the datbase objects then why this error is appearing ?. If i give select permission for webuser on tables , it is running ...
    Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:04 AM
  • The problem resolved .The programme had  select statement , which needed select access to webuser login . It had to be given . After this it was found that identity column was not set automatically in the target server tables .

N P Bhat

MCAD

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 10:24 AM