URGENT! Compiling Power Builder 11 using TFS Build Automation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I will give some background so you could understand my question better.

We have more then 20 applications in our organization which are developed in power builder version 11. We use TFS as our source/version control repository.  Also we use TFS for Build Management. (continuous , nightly andmore).

Power Builder application usually consist of .pbl files (source code)  which furthur contains objects. We are using MSSCCI Provider for communication between power builder and tfs source control. When adding a power builder application into TFS Team Project for first time, after we have created a workspace (in power builder and TFS source control explorer) Power builder Exports all the objects from each .pbl files and check-in into the TFS source control, along with object files (*.sr*) It also check`s in  one .pbg having a same name of the .pbl file.

So for example if we have three .pbl file for our application and each .pbl file contain 5 objects. it will check-in 15 objects (*.sr*) and 3 .pbg file into the Tfs repository.

I have opened .pbg file in notepad and foun that it contains information about the objects which are part of that perticular .pbl (again .pbg file always have exact same name as of .pbl)

So Now my question is, I do see All the information we need in order to compile .pbl back on  the build server from .pbg`s and objects check-in  (because we dont check-in pbl, that should be build output).  But I am not sure How can we achieve it.

We have PowerGen Standard edition for power builder 11 and Power builder 11 installed on the build server. I know that powergen is widely used to automate the build process of power builder application. so we have all the resources.

Main dought that i have is how to create/generate pbl files from PBR.

Please anybody if has already done that. give me any ideas...
    Its very very urgent. 
    Thanks
    BOB
    Friday, May 8, 2009 5:43 PM

Answers

• Finally i have my Power Builder 11 Application Compiling from strach, What i mean is Performing a BootStrap import of all the objects into PBL file and then Compiling all the PBL files into and application (PBD). Actually i was using PowerGen Standard Edition for compiling the power builder application. But Standard edition does not allow bootstrap import. So we had to get proffesional edition in order to perform the steps. All i did was then added below code. (ofcourse along with .gen file, created from PowerGen).

<

Exec WorkingDirectory="$(SolutionRoot)" Command="start /wait Pwrgn11.exe /J=&quot;$(SolutionRoot)\TeamBuildTypes\ProjectName.gen&quot; /PBG"/>  <!-- to perform a bootstrap import-->

<

Exec WorkingDirectory="$(SolutionRoot)" Command="start /wait Pwrgn11.exe /A=&quot;$(SolutionRoot)\TeamBuildTypes\ProjectName.gen&quot;"/> <!-- to compile the pbl files created by bootstrap import-->

I am finally closing this thread. anybody needs any help please let me know.
    THANKS.

• Marked as answer by BhavdeepSingh Monday, August 10, 2009 7:07 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:07 PM

All replies

• You can override the aftercompile (or maybe even the corecompile) target and put there an EXEC task to execute a program.

<Target Name="AfterCompile">
       <Exec Command="Powergen MyPbg" />
    </Target>

And then repace the Powergen MyPbg with your own command
    Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Hi Ewald,

Thanks, i know i could use command line for compilation. thats not what i am asking, wht i am asking is if anybody has generated PBL files from PBG and objects using command line or anyother method. I hope somebody has done this before.
    I know this could not be a perfect place to ask it. But as al TFS build Community read this post , maybe somebody has done this earlier and i could find my answer. I also have contacted E.Crane hopefully thay can reply me something.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Hello Bob1981,

if anybody has generated PBL files from PBG?

Here is one link:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=101371&seqNum=4

In the link

The example in Listing 3.3 rebuilds the three target PBLs from the exported source files. In doing so, it assumes that the three CashTrak PBLs do not exist. 

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Notice: Only information for you.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    • Edited by Hua Chen Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:49 AM Edit..
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:46 AM
  • Finally i have my Power Builder 11 Application Compiling from strach, What i mean is Performing a BootStrap import of all the objects into PBL file and then Compiling all the PBL files into and application (PBD). Actually i was using PowerGen Standard Edition for compiling the power builder application. But Standard edition does not allow bootstrap import. So we had to get proffesional edition in order to perform the steps. All i did was then added below code. (ofcourse along with .gen file, created from PowerGen).

<

Exec WorkingDirectory="$(SolutionRoot)" Command="start /wait Pwrgn11.exe /J=&quot;$(SolutionRoot)\TeamBuildTypes\ProjectName.gen&quot; /PBG"/>  <!-- to perform a bootstrap import-->

<

Exec WorkingDirectory="$(SolutionRoot)" Command="start /wait Pwrgn11.exe /A=&quot;$(SolutionRoot)\TeamBuildTypes\ProjectName.gen&quot;"/> <!-- to compile the pbl files created by bootstrap import-->

I am finally closing this thread. anybody needs any help please let me know.
    THANKS.

• Marked as answer by BhavdeepSingh Monday, August 10, 2009 7:07 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Bob, keep in mind that this doesn't build a source traceable build (unless you previously did a get from your SCC)
    I do a 'Get' first  from SCC ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8.0\Common7\IDE\tf" get $/ABC/framework /all /recursive)
    Then delete all the .pbl files from the build directories then do your commands above.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:42 AM
  • Yes, i do understand that we would need to perform Get latest before we start Bootstarp import and compiling application. I Use TFSBuild in order to perform compilation which by default clears everything when build is cicked off.

Thanks
    BOB
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:45 AM
  • Hi Bob,

We're looking at using TFS for our version control. We already have TFS2010 up and running. We're using PB 12. Can you explain the steps to go about achieving this? I also would like to setup automated build generation.

Thanks,

Eileen

Monday, August 29, 2011 4:34 AM
  • Hi

I'm trying to automate build process for powerbuilder applications, we are using power builder for building. can we automate that building process in vsts without using powerpuilder. can we migrate power builder applications into git ?

Thanks

Rak 

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 4:33 PM