none
Mirroring monitor problems with Windows Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is my case:

- We have 3 Windows Server 2008 R2 with SQL Server 2005. We are mirroring them and they work, if i provoke a fail over on primary server they change their role and Mirror starts to work, since then it's ok but, Mirroring monitor only work when Windows Firewall is off, if I enable FW then don't recognice the connection and shows: "Not connected" :/

I have opened the ports I'm using (not default ports) and made an exception for the process and executables but the problem stills.

Any idea?

Thank you in advance and sorry for my english.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:18 AM

Answers

• And all of these are set to be excluded in your exceptions list - for the server the ports are listening on(presuming this is a combined list)?  Is the witness server on its own box?  Looking at the ports, I guess that TCP 5022 and 5023 are the endpoints on principal, mirror, and 7022 is for the witness?  Just to check, please run this on both the principal and mirror:

select mirroring_partner_name, mirroring_witness_name from sys.database_mirroring

You have port 7022 for your witness server excluded in the firewall?  You can telnet to it when the firewall's on?

Thanks, Andrew

Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:34 PM

All replies

• after adding the ports as exception in firewalls did you check the state of ports using

select * from sys.endpoints

or

run the telnet command

click on start-> run-> telnet 192.125.222.12 5202

i have used 192.125.222.12 5202 as example, replace this with your IP and Port number

netstat comans also gives you information of the port status

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Thanks for reply. We tried the query and this is the result:

Result queryNow, what should i see here? I don't understand, and if "endpoint_id" is the port this is nonsense :/ We tried also netstat but the ports we need are all open. The only diference is when the FW is working.

After that we tried to give access to all the process that use SQL server and we still have the same problem. Since when FW is off monitor works fine we thought that is not a port problem, so the problem is something related with the FW, are we wrong?

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:11 PM
  • in the output you can see the state description of your database_mirroring endpoint  as started ,

did you try telnet command or net stats command to see the port if open or not

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:14 PM
  • Yes, we did and the ports are open :/
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Can you post the role_desc column too, please.  When you say you've added all the ports to the firewall exception list, can you confirm which ports these were.  Thanks,

Thanks, Andrew

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Where could i find this column? Is it where u see the role of each server? Where is it?

The ports we are using are:

- Custom ports: 44058 TCP

- Default ports: 135 TCP, 1433 TCP, 1434 TCP, 1434 UDP, 445 TCP, 5022 TCP, 5023 TCP. 7022 TCP, 7023 TCP

Without FW it works.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:56 PM
  • And all of these are set to be excluded in your exceptions list - for the server the ports are listening on(presuming this is a combined list)?  Is the witness server on its own box?  Looking at the ports, I guess that TCP 5022 and 5023 are the endpoints on principal, mirror, and 7022 is for the witness?  Just to check, please run this on both the principal and mirror:

select mirroring_partner_name, mirroring_witness_name from sys.database_mirroring

You have port 7022 for your witness server excluded in the firewall?  You can telnet to it when the firewall's on?

Thanks, Andrew

Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:34 PM