none
SSRS 2016 Report Viewer V13 Toolbar Icons not displaying RRS feed

• Question

• The Report Viewer control is not rendering the toolbar correctly. 

I'm following the instruction Getting started with the ReportViewer 2016 control at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt764770.aspx and am able to run reports from my application, however there are issues with the Report Toolbar.

1. I'm not seeing the toolbar icons, even though the hyperlinks are active.

2. When I open the Export dropdown the background is transparent and difficult to read.

3. Report parameter dropdowns appear as textboxes, yet when I click them they act like dropdowns.

Attached is an image showing the toolbar as it is rendering in my application:

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 10:23 PM

Answers

• There is a known issue when using the control in master/child pages, seems you might be running into this? The team is currently working on a fix. 

• Proposed as answer by Yossi Shani Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Xi JinModerator Monday, October 17, 2016 8:22 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi klibbert-int,

According to your description, you have embedded your Reporting Service reports into your ASP.net web application. However there exists issues with the Toolbar. Right?

So in you scenario, did you download and install the new ReportViewer Control package? Also you can refer to following articles to see if you have missed some steps when adding the new ReportViewer Control.

Embed paginated reports into ASP.NET web apps using the Report Viewer 2016 control

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Xi Jin. 

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 3:28 AM
  • I am experiencing the very same behaviour when my web site is deployed.

However the images are not missing when I am running the site from Visual Studio.

As Xi Jin's reply I have used the latest NuGet package and followed this guide https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/01a821c4-2920-400c-be03-93d26c749bb1.aspx on MSDN.

Using the F12 developer tools, I can see the toolbar images have been downloaded and there aren't any errors reported.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 12:54 PM
  • Xi Jin,

Yes, I followed the article exactly and yes, this is an ASP.NET Forms project. When I inspect the page in Chrome, Edge and IE things seem normal no download errors, and when I navigate to the URLs in the Request Header I see images in the browser. I do not see the Export and Print icons ever being requested though unless they are buried in a style somewhere that I'm not seeing.

Also, our ASP.NET application is pretty straight forward and not too complex. We are using Master Pages if that makes any difference. Reports run fine using the control, it just seems like styles aren't rendering properly. 

I also tried creating a new ASP.Net Forms project and added the control as per the instructions in the Getting started page at Getting started with the ReportViewer 2016 control under the Adding the Report Builder Control to a New Project and see the exact same behavior. See the Default.aspx code below. The Script Manager is registered in the Site.Master, along with the compatibility meta setting. The code for SiteMaster follows the code for Default.aspx. My Web.Config is untouched other than the changes made by the Nuget package manager when I installed the Report Viewer package.

Default.aspx Code

<%@ Page Title="Home Page" Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Site.Master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="ReportViewerTest._Default" %>
    <%@ Register assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=13.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" namespace="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms" tagprefix="rsweb" %>

<asp:Content ID="BodyContent" ContentPlaceHolderID="MainContent" runat="server">
            <rsweb:ReportViewer ID="ReportViewer1" runat="server" ProcessingMode="Remote" Width="100%" Height="700px">
                <ServerReport 
                    ReportPath="/MYReports/MyReport" 
                    ReportServerUrl="http://localhost/ReportServer" />
            </rsweb:ReportViewer>

</asp:Content>

Site.Master Code

<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="Site.master.cs" Inherits="ReportViewerTest.SiteMaster" %>

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html lang="en">
    <head runat="server">
        <meta charset="utf-8" />
        <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" />
        <title><%: Page.Title %> - My ASP.NET Application</title>

<asp:PlaceHolder runat="server">
            <%: Scripts.Render("~/bundles/modernizr") %>
        </asp:PlaceHolder>
        <webopt:bundlereference runat="server" path="~/Content/css" />
        <link href="~/favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" />
        <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" /> 

</head>
    <body>
        <form runat="server">
            <asp:ScriptManager runat="server">
                <Scripts>
                    <%--To learn more about bundling scripts in ScriptManager see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=301884 --%>
                    <%--Framework Scripts--%>
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="MsAjaxBundle" />
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="jquery" />
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="bootstrap" />
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="respond" />
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="WebForms.js" Assembly="System.Web" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/WebForms.js" />
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="WebUIValidation.js" Assembly="System.Web" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/WebUIValidation.js" />
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="MenuStandards.js" Assembly="System.Web" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/MenuStandards.js" />
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="GridView.js" Assembly="System.Web" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/GridView.js" />
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="DetailsView.js" Assembly="System.Web" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/DetailsView.js" />
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="TreeView.js" Assembly="System.Web" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/TreeView.js" />
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="WebParts.js" Assembly="System.Web" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/WebParts.js" />
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="Focus.js" Assembly="System.Web" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/Focus.js" />
                    <asp:ScriptReference Name="WebFormsBundle" />
                    <%--Site Scripts--%>
                </Scripts>
            </asp:ScriptManager>

<div class="container body-content">
                <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="MainContent" runat="server">
                </asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
                <hr />
                <footer>
                    <p>&copy; <%: DateTime.Now.Year %> - My ASP.NET Application</p>
                </footer>
            </div>
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 2:32 PM
  • I have the same problem. If you look at the network tab on firebug, you will see that many connections are aborted.  But i can't understand source of the problem? I think, the problem is about version conflicts.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 8:02 AM
  • I also have a similar problem after installing Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportViewerControl.WebForms.Preview (v130.1700.305) from NuGet.

Toolbar won't render properly:

While it should look like this:

At first I thought it was happening due to some kind of version conflicts, so I ended up removing all ReportViewer related assemblies from the GAC - didn't work.

I don't know how to tag someone here, but I think Brad Syputa can help.

• Edited by Yossi Shani Thursday, October 6, 2016 1:48 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 1:43 PM
  • There is a known issue when using the control in master/child pages, seems you might be running into this? The team is currently working on a fix. 

• Proposed as answer by Yossi Shani Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Xi JinModerator Monday, October 17, 2016 8:22 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:25 PM
  • That was it (in my case). I switched to a regular web form (without master page) - and it worked!

Thanks Rhys!

Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:44 PM
  • Thanks Rys, we eagerly await the next Report Viewer control update. In the interum, if you have a suggested work around please let us know.
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:57 PM
  • For the time being the Report Viewer Control will work in non-master/child pages if you are able to head down that route.
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Sadly getting rid of the master page pattern is not an option for us. Our application is heavily dependent on that pattern at the moment and it would be difficult to refactor.
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:42 PM
  • Have you ever found a resolution to this problem?  We just recently upgraded to SSRS 2016 over the holiday break and are experiencing the same issues with the icons not showing in the toolbar and also when we click on 'Print', I am seeing an'Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read Proprety Sharepoint of undefined at ReportingServices.WebformsClient._InternalReportViewer.PdfPrint..

We also are using master/child pages in our web application and redoing this is not really an option for us either.

Do you know if this has been fixed?

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 5:53 PM

No, i can use reportviewer with master/child pages, the problem here is the bootstrap. try to remove the bootstrap and it will work 100%

Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:36 PM
  • if you are using bootstrap then remove it, it will work 100%.
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:37 PM
  • Hi Rhys,

Is the team still working on a fix? I'm still having the same problem (I'm forced to use master page in my application).

Thanks.

Monday, February 19, 2018 1:48 PM