none
SSRS 2016 Basic Authentication on F5 Load Balancer RRS feed

• Question

• I was able to put in Basic Authentication and SSL on my DEV environment which only has one server.  It works from the DMZ when the local server account has browser rights.

Now I need to do the same thing in my QA environment.  The issue is that there is an F5 load balancer between 2 servers.

I created a local account with the same name on both machines.

SSRS will initially take the browser rights, but then it disappears.  So is there a way to "wildcard" the machine name?

I tried .\user and using the dns as the domain.  It will not take either of those at all.  I also tried LOCAL\user.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:47 PM

Answers

• According to Microsoft:

The behavior you are seeing is by design. SSRS periodically checks the accounts to verify that they still exist and will remove them if they no longer exist. Because you are using local accounts and more than one SSRS server in scaleout, SSRS one node 2 will try to query for the account on node 1 and will not be able to find it and remove it. The only local accounts supported in a Scaleout environment are builtin accounts as they will exist on all servers. It is recommended to use domain accounts when using SSRS in Scaleout so you will not run into this scenario.

• Marked as answer by Bryan Shaw Monday, July 29, 2019 11:34 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2019 11:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Bryan,

Sorry to ask, but in "SSRS will initially take the browser rights, but then it disappears.", what does the "browser rights" and "disappear" means in this context?

Are you using scale out deployment in this case ? There are two ssrs instances?

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:30 AM
  • In the Report Manager, I go to the folder and then Manage it.  I click on Security, click on the + Add group or User.

I entered server1\user1 and checked the Browser, then applied it.  The page would refresh and I would initially see server1\user Browser in the list of security.  Then I would navigate away and come back and it would be gone.

Yes, I am scaled out.  I have two servers.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:26 AM
  • Hi Bryan, 

Have you done the configuration correctly? You could check if it is all right here Configure a Report Server on a Network Load Balancing Cluster.

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 22, 2019 2:58 AM
  • According to Microsoft:

The behavior you are seeing is by design. SSRS periodically checks the accounts to verify that they still exist and will remove them if they no longer exist. Because you are using local accounts and more than one SSRS server in scaleout, SSRS one node 2 will try to query for the account on node 1 and will not be able to find it and remove it. The only local accounts supported in a Scaleout environment are builtin accounts as they will exist on all servers. It is recommended to use domain accounts when using SSRS in Scaleout so you will not run into this scenario.

• Marked as answer by Bryan Shaw Monday, July 29, 2019 11:34 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2019 11:34 AM