none
The operating system returned error 23(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).)

Question

• My Stored Procedures and Jobs Showing this Error. Even though i can able to access the data throgh SSMS in Database Engine.Please help on this.

Executed as user: RMS\Administrator. The operating system returned error 23(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).) to SQL Server during a read at offset 0x000006684a2000 in file 'F:\RMSLiveData\RMS.mdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online. [SQLSTATE HY000] (Error 823).  The step failed.

Thanks 

RehaanKhan. M

Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:45 PM

Answers

• Database and its giving me hundreds of error messages and 3 consistency errors. what are the steps i need to take. no worries as i have new backup of database. Thank you. 

RehaanKhan. M

Well its good then restore from latest valid backup. Make sure you check consistency of backup using restore verifyonly before applying.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:59 AM
  • Actually doing a disk fragmentation on which the database resides resolved issue. the database backup is working fine now. But, as suggested here i have run the DBCC CHECKDB on my Database and its giving me hundreds of error messages and 3 consistency errors. what are the steps i need to take. no worries as i have new backup of database. Thank you. 

That new backup is not likely to be extremely useful. Most likely, if you restore the database on a different server and run DBCC CHECKDB, you will find the same error messages.

What does the end of the output from DBCC say? More precisely, which repair level does it indicate? If it suggest REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS, you will need to investigate your earlier backups of the database to find one which is clean. And then transaction log backsup that you can roll forward.

I would also suggest that you run DBCC CHECKDB on the other databases on the server. That bad disk may have munged more than one of your databases.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 11:12 AM

All replies

• Hello,

There seems to be corruption of your database. Examine the integrity of your disk storage. Restore from a backup or run DBCC CHECKDB.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:51 PM
  • There seems to be corruption of your database. Examine the integrity of your disk storage. Restore from a backup or run DBCC CHECKDB.

Just to clarify, this may be a hardware failure of your physical disk, check the Windows and SQL logs, talk to your sysadmin immediately, and you may want to replace the disk before even restoring a database from backup - or restore it to a different disk location, if you have real disks which I assume you do because a SAN would probably have hidden this kind of message.

Josh

• Edited by JRStern Thursday, September 11, 2014 3:27 PM
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 3:25 PM
  • DBCCCHECKDB('DBNAME',REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS)

For crying out loud! Don't you have any shame!

There are situations where you may have to run DBCC CHECKDB with the option REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS, but it is not the first thing you shold try if the database seems to be corrupt. Particularly, you should first make sure that you work on a copy of the database files. REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS means that DBCC CHECKDB has carte blanche to throw all pages it can piece together - which could be about all data pages if it is that bad.

Corruption siuations are very difficult to assist with in forums, because there can be a lot of stake. The only advice I can give is to restore the database from a clean backup. If you don't have a clean backup, you have a problem. The database may still be saved, but you need an expert on site to help you, if you have never worked with this before. Advice given in this forum applied haphazardly can result in more damage that you already have.

But, oh, one thing: this type of corruption are always due to hardware errors like bad disks or bad memory sticks. So just restoring the database is not enough. Finding new hardware is important too.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:57 PM
  • DBCCCHECKDB('DBNAME',REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS)

For crying out loud! Don't you have any shame!

There are situations where you may have to run DBCC CHECKDB with the option REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS, but it is not the first thing you shold try if the database seems to be corrupt. Particularly, you should first make sure that you work on a copy of the database files. REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS means that DBCC CHECKDB has carte blanche to throw all pages it can piece together - which could be about all data pages if it is that bad.

Corruption siuations are very difficult to assist with in forums, because there can be a lot of stake. The only advice I can give is to restore the database from a clean backup. If you don't have a clean backup, you have a problem. The database may still be saved, but you need an expert on site to help you, if you have never worked with this before. Advice given in this forum applied haphazardly can result in more damage that you already have.

But, oh, one thing: this type of corruption are always due to hardware errors like bad disks or bad memory sticks. So just restoring the database is not enough. Finding new hardware is important too.

Actually on the same disk there are other Databases Stored and they work Properly and Backup also can be taken for that Databases. But, for this particular database only this error is happening when iam trying to take backup. But data retrieval and access to front end application happening as usual.  Please help on this.

RehaanKhan. M

Friday, September 12, 2014 5:05 AM
  • Actually on the same disk there are other Databases Stored and they work Properly and Backup also can be taken for that Databases. But, for this particular database only this error is happening when iam trying to take backup. But data retrieval and access to front end application happening as usual.  Please help on this.

Just because there is only one database with a CRC error does not mean that everything is working fine. As I said, corruption does not come out of nowhere.

Assuming that the database is in full recovery, I would recommend that you restore a backup of the database om a test and apply transction logs and then run DBCC CHECKDB to verify that the database is OK.

Then again, since you seem to have a poor understanding of disaster recovery, I recommend that you open a case with Microsoft or find a consultant locally. If you rely only on help from the forums, there is a risk that you mess things up even more.

Friday, September 12, 2014 9:12 AM
  • Actually doing a disk fragmentation on which the database resides resolved issue. the database backup is working fine now. But, as suggested here i have run the DBCC CHECKDB on my Database and its giving me hundreds of error messages and 3 consistency errors. what are the steps i need to take. no worries as i have new backup of database. Thank you. 

RehaanKhan. M

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:31 AM
  • Database and its giving me hundreds of error messages and 3 consistency errors. what are the steps i need to take. no worries as i have new backup of database. Thank you. 

RehaanKhan. M

Well its good then restore from latest valid backup. Make sure you check consistency of backup using restore verifyonly before applying.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:59 AM

That new backup is not likely to be extremely useful. Most likely, if you restore the database on a different server and run DBCC CHECKDB, you will find the same error messages.

What does the end of the output from DBCC say? More precisely, which repair level does it indicate? If it suggest REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS, you will need to investigate your earlier backups of the database to find one which is clean. And then transaction log backsup that you can roll forward.

I would also suggest that you run DBCC CHECKDB on the other databases on the server. That bad disk may have munged more than one of your databases.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 11:12 AM