none
Cmdline installation error "The specified credentials for the SQL Server service are not valid" RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting an error while trying to install Sql Express 2008 R2. Anything that you guys see I’m missing here?

Error: The specified credentials for the SQL Server service are not valid. To continue, provide a valid account and password for the SQL Server service.

Command line: SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe /ACTION=Install /Q /INDICATEPROGRESS /INSTANCENAME=SqlInstance /FEATURES=SQL /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /SQLSVCACCOUNT='MyDomain\User' SQLSVCPASSWORD=MyPwd /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=BUILTIN\ADMINISTRATORS /NPENABLED=1 /TCPENABLED=1 /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms=1

----------EDIT-----------

The answer has been provided. I used the double quotes instead of single quotes around the username and password and it worked.

• Edited by M. Ali Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:40 PM added solution
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:59 PM

Answers

• 1. try double quotes
    2. Add slash "/" before SQLSVCPASSWORD

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter

• Marked as answer by M. Ali Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:38 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:14 AM

All replies

• can you try

Command line: SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe /ACTION=Install /Q /INDICATEPROGRESS /INSTANCENAME=SqlInstance /FEATURES=SQL /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /SQLSVCACCOUNT='MyDomain\User' SQLSVCPASSWORD=MyPwd /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS='BUILTIN\ADMINISTRATORS' /NPENABLED=1 /TCPENABLED=1 /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms=1

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Hello,

The domain user account used as service account must have a strong password like P@ssw0rd. Change the password using Active Directory Users and Computers, and change the command accordingly.  

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:30 AM
  • 1. try double quotes
    2. Add slash "/" before SQLSVCPASSWORD

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter

• Marked as answer by M. Ali Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:38 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:14 AM