none
How can we move FT data folder and FDLaunchErrorLog

Question

• Hi There,

I have a question in my mind that if we have to change the default location of FTData Folder and FDLAUNCHERRORLOG from default location to some other location for permanently then what we have to follow as a Microsoft standard.

Thanks,

Regards, Ashish Tripathi

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 6:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ashish,

What is the version of your SQL Server?

When change the default location of FTDATA Folder and FDLAUNCHERRORLOG, we need to modify relevant values in the registry editor. Take SQL Server 2008 for instance, you can perform the following steps to move FTDATA folder and  FDLAUNCHERRORLOG files from one location to another.

1. Stop your SQL full-text filter daemon launcher service from SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Copy the FTDATA contents over to new drive from existing drive.

Go to the location in “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.<INSTANCEID>\Setup\FullTextDefaultPath “ to change the value. Go to the location in “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.<INSTANCEID>\Setup\SQLDataRoot” and change the value of SQLDataRoot to new location.

4. Restart SQL full-text filter daemon launcher service from configuration manager.

There are two similar blogs for your reference.
    Moving your FTData files and FDLAUNCHERRORLOG in Clustered SQL Server 2008
    How to move FDLAUNCHERRORLOG from one location to another in SQL 2008

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 9:00 AM
  • Hi Lydia,

Thanks for the reply, MY MSSQL Server  version is 2014. Also, I have checked above posts but after making the changes to the SQLDataRoot record and after restarting the Service it didnt created the FDLAUNCHERRORLOG file.

Please suggest if you could have some better solution.

Thanks,

Regards, Ashish Tripathi

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 9:35 AM
  • Hi Ashish,

Based on my further testing and confirming with development team, changing FTData or FDLAUNCHERRORLOG file location in the registry is not a supported method. The only supported way to change the location of FTDATA or FDLAUNCHERRORLOG file is to reinstall SQL Server.

We can specify the location on the Instance configuration page while doing the new installation of SQL Server 2014.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:57 AM