Changing variables that view in calendar view RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a construction schedule with two levels of hierarchy.  The top level being the job name and the second level being the phases of the project.  In calendar view I would like each task to have listed JOB NAME, PHASE.  However I only seem to be able to get the PHASE to show up by selecting name as the field I want displayed.  Unless I show the summary tasks on the calendar view I can see the project name because in a summary task name = Project name.  My phases have the same name in each project so the calendar view is confusing with out the Project name.  Can anyone help wtih this?

Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:32 AM

Answers

• Thank you Julie

I've tried another avenue.  I created a project file for each of the jobs and then a master project file that I added each as a sub-project to so I can scheudle them together.  Now the problem I have is the tasks inside each project will not show on the master project calendar.  I just get the summary of each of the sub-projects.  Any thoughts on if it is possible to get the individual tasks to show this way?

Michael

• Marked as answer by Michael R24 Monday, September 16, 2013 11:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Michael,

It sounds like your master project is not expanded. Expand it such that all subproject subtasks show up and they will appear in the Calendar view.

John

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:15 PM

All replies

• Michael R24,

I'm not quite clear on exactly what you want. Is the "top level" the Project Summary Task or simply a summary line at outline level 1? I'm confused by your sentence, "Unless I show the summary tasks on the calendar view I can see the project name because in a summary task name = Project name". What are you trying to say? Is there a reason you don't want to simply show the summary tasks?

Depending on your hierarchy structure, it might make sense to simply prefix each phase with the job name. For example, let's say the phases are "Excavate site", "Dig footings", "Set footing rebar", etc. Those could be changed to:

"Smith residence - Excavate site", "Smith residence - Dig footings", Smith residence - Set footing rebar", etc.

John

Thursday, September 5, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Sorry John, that's what I get for posting in the middle of the night.  When you switch to calendar view there are items for Demo, Construction, Etc.  What I would ultimately like to see is the Job Name (In this case Kitchen Template) then the secondary items (Demo, Construction, Etc.) so that I can associate the task with the job in calendar view. However I cannot find a way to do that. When you show the summary tasks in calendar view they create another bar but do not associate to the sub-tasks and is consuting. When you see Demo on the calendar view there is no way to associate whay job it is for.

I'm trying to avoid changing the tasks to be prefixed as it would create more work for my team and might not alway get done correctly...

Hope this clears up my delema...

Michael

Friday, September 6, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Michael R24,

Either it's still the middle of the night where you are or maybe you need more coffee, or maybe you had too much coffee. I'm curious, what is "consuting"? You also might want to take a look at "whay" in the sentence after that. Proofreading is a wonderful thing.

Yes, you are correct in that showing the summary line will not associate directly with the task. The only way to do that in the calendar view is through task name prefix as I mentioned previously. If you are concerned about typo errors in adding the job prefix to each task, that process can be easily automated with a macro. And here is a macro that will do it.

Sub AddPrefix()
    Dim t As Task
    For Each t In ActiveProject.Tasks
        If Not t Is Nothing Then
            If InStr(t.Name, "-") = 0 And t.Summary = False Then
                t.Name = t.OutlineParent.Name & " - " & t.Name
            End If
        End If
    Next t

End Sub

Probably not the answer you wanted, but its the best I can offer.

John

• Edited by John - Project Saturday, September 7, 2013 2:24 AM code
    • Proposed as answer by Julie Sheets Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:33 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2013 11:20 PM
  • Ok, that is helpful. One last question.

In order to make this combined string automatically could I create a column called "label" that would add the summary name to the task name as you did with the macro?

If I created a custom field and created a formula to do this how would you write the formula?  Is it possible to do it this way?

Then I would just assign that column to visible on the calendar view.

- Michael

Sunday, September 8, 2013 3:23 AM
  • Pardon me for bumping in.  If the "Job Name" is the project summary task (row zero in the Gantt chart view), then yes, it can be done.  The information in the Project Summary line is available through a field named "Project".  You could create a text field with the formula: [Project] & ":  " & [Name]

If however, the "Job Name" is the summary task - then John's macro would be the only option.  You could alter John's macro to write the value to a text field and then display that in the Calendar view.

Sunday, September 8, 2013 1:47 PM
  • Thank you Julie

I've tried another avenue.  I created a project file for each of the jobs and then a master project file that I added each as a sub-project to so I can scheudle them together.  Now the problem I have is the tasks inside each project will not show on the master project calendar.  I just get the summary of each of the sub-projects.  Any thoughts on if it is possible to get the individual tasks to show this way?

Michael

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Michael,

It sounds like your master project is not expanded. Expand it such that all subproject subtasks show up and they will appear in the Calendar view.

John

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:15 PM