none
Backup failed after activating change tracking RRS feed

• Question

• I activated change tracking on one of our databases (SQL 2008, Developer Edition, upgraded from SQL 2005) a few days ago. Today I noticed that our regular backup job fails for this database (recovery model simple; just two files, one for data and one for log). Therefore I tried to create a backup manually:

Code Snippet
    BACKUP DATABASE [MyDatabase] TO  DISK = N'C:\Transfer\MyDatabase.bak'
    WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT,  NAME = N'MyDatabase-Full Database Backup', SKIP,
     NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD,  STATS = 10
    GO

Unfortunately the backup failes with the following error message:

Code Snippet
    Msg 2601, Level 14, State 1, Procedure sp_flush_commit_table, Line 15
    Cannot insert duplicate key row in object 'sys.syscommittab' with unique index 'si_xdes_id'.
    Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    The statement has been terminated.
    Msg 3999, Level 17, State 1, Line 1
    Failed to flush the commit table to disk in dbid 13 due to error 2601. Check the errorlog for more information.

I researched for other people having similar problems. Unfortunately I did not find any information. I also took a look at the system stored proc mentioned in the error message (sp_flush_commit_table). This procedure inserts rows into the table sys.syscommittab. Unfortunately I did not find any further documentation about this table or the stored proc sp_flush_commit_table.

I also tried to reboot the server and restart the SQL Server services. Nothing helps! I can successfully create backups of all other databases on the server. I can even create a backup of other databases on the same server for which change tracking is also activated. Unfortunately the database with the backup error is the most important one

My question to you all: Did anyone of you get accross a similar problem? Does anyone have an idea what I could do?

I would appreciate any kind of help very much!

Kind regards,

Rainer.

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:00 PM

All replies