none
Pivot Chart/Table RRS feed

• Question

• I have ported a MS Access database to SQL Server, but I don't know how to recreate my pivot charts/tables outside of the MS Access environment. I have several questions:

1) Without depending on MS Office tools (Excel / Access), which SQL Server components allow me to make pivot charts/tables almost as easily as MS Office tools?  By the way, I probably will want to combine these pivot charts/tables in my own C# application (maybe asp.net, maybe WinForms).

2) Do I need to install analysis services or reporting services to produce pivot charts/tables?

3) I did not create an OLAP cube in MS Access to make my pivot charts/tables, can I still make pivot charts/tables with SQL Server without having to make an OLAP cube?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 8:09 AM

Answers

• Pivot Charts/Tables are a front end display of data. You do not have to have a cube to display them, but in my experience, it makes it easier and more useful to the end users.

You can create "pivot tables" in Management Studio, but it's not intended for end users.

SQL Server does not include front end display tools, with the exception of Reporting Services. Reporting Services can do charting and reporting, but the interactivity is limited. Whether it would meet your needs depends on your requirements.

Mosha has a list of other clients on his site :http://www.mosha.com/msolap/util.htm

Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:39 PM