none
ssms splashes and crashes RRS feed

• Question

• hi I've been using ssms for about a week now having installed 2017 developer on my new pc.  No problems. all od a sudden today its splashing its screen and then stopping.   any idea why? 
    • Edited by db042190 Friday, June 7, 2019 4:19 PM much better title
    • Moved by Tom Phillips Friday, June 7, 2019 5:56 PM SSMS question
    Friday, June 7, 2019 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hi db042190,

Could you please tell us the version of your SSMS? 

If your SSMS version is 18.0, it splashed screen and stopped. Would you please follow the steps below:

Copy the File : Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.8.0.dll

Located in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Interop

Paste in the Folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\

Please refer to this similar thread.

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy Ji

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by db042190 Monday, June 10, 2019 11:03 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2019 6:08 AM

All replies

• cant run as admin either.  I don't recall any changes in the last 24 hrs to the machine.  that's about when I used ssms last.
    Friday, June 7, 2019 4:37 PM
  • Did you try to uninstall it and reinstall it?

A Fan of SSIS, SSRS and SSAS

Friday, June 7, 2019 7:03 PM
  • I can try but wouldn't I want to explain why this happening first?
    Friday, June 7, 2019 7:10 PM
  • Hi db042190,

Could you please tell us the version of your SSMS? 

If your SSMS version is 18.0, it splashed screen and stopped. Would you please follow the steps below:

Copy the File : Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.8.0.dll

Located in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Interop

Paste in the Folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\

Please refer to this similar thread.

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy Ji

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by db042190 Monday, June 10, 2019 11:03 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2019 6:08 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2019 11:03 AM