none
How to fix SQL Server Managment Studio? RRS feed

• Question

• Background:

I am still fairly new to MS SQL (2012).  Our company is converting from Sybase to MS SQL next month and I have been trying out tools to hook our code repository to the database code.  I have tried RedGate SQL Source Control and Agent SVN.  I was having issues linking the RedGate product to our biggest converted test database and was waiting on their support so I uninstalled it to tried Agent SVN.  It seamed to work fairly well.  When RedGate got back to me I uninstalled Agent SVN.

The Problem: 

After I did that, SSMS would no longer start up.  When accessed either from a command prompt of by directly clicking on the application, nothing happens.  When clicking on the product in windows explorer, the cursor might change for a split second.

My Attempts to Fix:

I started by trying to repair SSMS.  No change.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled SSMS.  No change.

I then uninstalled SSMS, uninstalled all things .net, uninstalled all visual C++ items that were installed the same day and the original SSMS install and reinstalled SSMS.  Still no change.

Short of reformatting and reinstalling everything on my development computer, I am out of ideas.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:56 PM

All replies

• >Short of reformatting and reinstalling everything on my development computer, I am out of ideas.

It appears that is your only choice. Likely you can start with reinstalling OS. No need to reformat.

One last try: check if Event Viewer has some SSMS related messages. Also make sure Named Pipe & TCP communications configured correctly in SS Configuration Manager.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect Free T-SQL Scripts
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:28 PM
    Answerer
  • No luck in the Event Viewer.  SS Configuration Manager starts fine but this is just a client computer not the SQL Server install.
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:54 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to launch the SQL Server Management Studio by click Ssms.exe directly in the following path?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe

If you have system restore enabled on your machine, you may restore the system to previous time and see if it helps.

To restore system will preserve all the software and files before the previous restore point. And all of your private date will be preserved.

Reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows/turn-system-restore-on-off#1TC=windows-7

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 18, 2014 11:04 AM
  • Sorry, but that is bizarre...IMHO you shouldn't have to re-image your machine in order to get SSMS to work.  

My guess is that there are some registry settings that got hosed by an install/uninstall process.  The below are steps I'd take first before re-imaging.  If it works...great, if not, then you haven't messed anything up worse than they already are.

Make sure all items are uninstalled for SQL Server, Redgate & SVN.  Reboot the computer. 

See if there are any fragments left in registry and remove:  HKCU\Software\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio, HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

Reboot again.

Install SQL Server Management Studio.

Sunday, April 20, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Thanks for the thoughts.  I will probably try this last one before giving up and reinstalling. 

My boss even had me pay the $270 to see if MS paid support on this would be better at fixing this that we are.  While they were very nice and responsive, they did not really find anything more than I did and 2 days later I am at the same place.  I did learn about some new tools and options.  They also could not find any error messages or events to even start with.

Monday, April 21, 2014 2:05 PM
  • Tracy has a good suggestion about system restore. If you remember the date you start installing RedGate and then Agent SVN I suggest to go back to that date using System Restore. I think this option is simpler than re-formatting/re-installing.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, April 21, 2014 2:19 PM