none
Upgraded to SharePoint 2016 and Office Online (On Premise) - Cannot Refresh OLAP RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded from SharePoint 2013 and OWA to SharePoint 2016 and Office Online recently. I removed and reinstalled the latest version of PowerPivot SP Add In as well.

Everything is functioning fine (including viewing all office documents in browser) with exception of the power pivot refresh in my document libraries. 

I cannot view/set a schedule and I cannot refresh within the browser document either. If I open documents in the application (Excel for instance) I can refresh fine.

Lot's of correlation IDs, but the ULS is not clear to the issue and how to resolve:

Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin16.WBDS.RedirectorException: The PowerPivot service application could not connect to the Analysis Services instance.    at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin16.GeminiServiceApplicationProxy.ExecuteWithRetriesOnDiffEndpoints(String operationName, CodeToRunOnChannel codeBlock, Int32 numOfRetries, Nullable`1 preferredEndpointIndex)     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin16.GeminiServiceApplicationProxy.ExecuteWithRetriesOnDiffEndpoints(String operationName, CodeToRunOnChannel codeBlock)     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin16.GeminiServiceApplicationProxy.GetItemDataRefreshHistory(String url)     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin16.DataRefresh.ViewDataRefreshHistory.LoadItems()     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin16.DataRefresh.ViewDataRefreshH...
    ...istory.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)     at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)     at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin16.GeminiPageBase.OnLoad(EventArgs e)     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    Getting Error Message for Exception System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin16.WBDS.RedirectorException: The PowerPivot service application could not connect to the Analysis Services instance.     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin16.GeminiServiceApplicationProxy.ExecuteWithRetriesOnDiffEndpoints(String operationName, CodeToRunOnChannel codeBlock, Int32 numOfRetries, Nullable`1 preferredEndpointIndex)     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin16.GeminiServiceApplicationProxy.ExecuteWithRetriesOnDiffEndpoints(String operationName, CodeToRunOnChannel codeBlock)     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin16.GeminiServiceApplicationProxy.GetItemDataRefreshHistory(String url)     at ...

Monday, November 20, 2017 11:11 PM

All replies

• Hi wkrinsky,

Thanks for your question.

According to the error messages "The PowerPivot service application could not connect to the Analysis Services instance",  you might need to configure an analysis service server operating in sharepoint/PowerPivot mode.

For more information,please refer to below blog:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2012/08/02/verifying-the-excel-services-configuration-for-powerpivot-in-sharepoint-2013/

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 6:07 AM
  • Hi Willson,

In the 2016 version of SharePoint, Excel services is no longer part of SharePoint. Rather Excel services is part of the Office Online application that must run on an additional server independent of SharePoint. This server is setup in my environment and functioning as expected for all other aspects of document usage.

I can open an excel document and review the contents without issue. My challenge is specific to data refresh.

Thank you
    Warren.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 4:37 PM
  • Hi there,

I would suggest you to open a support case to microsoft for a better service.

Friday, November 24, 2017 8:52 AM
  • Hi wkrinsky,

did you find a solution for this issue?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 5:44 PM