none
problems importing data from excel (numbers stored as text error) RRS feed

• Question

• i have an excel sheet

in it there is a column that holds values of item numbers

some of these values are preceeded with zeros  E.G "00123" (with out the ")

when i view the data in excel i get this little green corner whice states (when pressed) that these values are numbers stoerd as text.

no inside the excel sheet i have no problem with that

but when i try to import the excel sheet into ssis using an excel source task

all these values are imported as nulls!!!

i am lost

i tried converting the format of these cells to numbers but then i loose the leading zeros

what i done temporarly to solve this problem is to accept excel's suggestion and turn these values into numbers

i then import them and convert them to strings in ssis and then ad dthe zeros.

now althouge this works, this isnt realy a solution.

i canot manualy correct each excel file each  time i get a new copy

and in the future i will not have the luxuery of having fixed lenght values (so i wont be able to know how many zeroe i"d need to add)

there must be a better way

please help

thanks in advance

Daniel

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:56 PM

Answers

• Have you tried adding IMEX=1 to the extended properties of the connection string? This is a common problem when the column contains mixed types, as the OLE DB Driver is trying to guess what the types are. If the type of an actual value doesn't match the guessed type for the column, the driver replaces it with a NULL.

This issue is discussed in more depth here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms141683.aspx

Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:07 AM

All replies

• Have you tried adding IMEX=1 to the extended properties of the connection string? This is a common problem when the column contains mixed types, as the OLE DB Driver is trying to guess what the types are. If the type of an actual value doesn't match the guessed type for the column, the driver replaces it with a NULL.

This issue is discussed in more depth here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms141683.aspx

Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:07 AM
  • hi there

thank you very much for the answer

i was only now able to try it

it did solve my problem but my only concern is  (even after reading the articale in the link) that when you use this IMEX=1 its not posible to determin how the driver will act on the diffrent data types in the column

but that antoher story Smile

thank you very much

Daniel

Saturday, May 24, 2008 8:36 PM