none
SSMS 2012 locks up in Restore Database dialog RRS feed

• Question

• While using SSMS 11.0.21000.60, I attempted to restore a database on a 2008r2 sql server (10.50.1600).

right click on database, tasks>restore>database, I get a Restore Database dialog box. Any attempt to select the Files "page" causes SSMS to stop responding and completely lock up.

I was able to successfully restore the database from SSMS 2008r2.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi StormRider01,

It may be a SQL Server Management Studio application corruption issue, please try to repair the SQL Server Management Studio 2012. Then try to open a new SQL Server Management Studio 2012 to see if you are able to work from that.

Please refer to:

Repair the SQL Server Management Studio 2012: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646006(v=sql.110).aspx.

Regards,
    Amy Peng

Amy Peng

TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 5, 2012 3:31 PM
  • Have you tried to try same with some other database, just to give it a try.

Friday, October 5, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Hi

Did you get a resolution to this issue as I see exactly the same.

SSMS 11.0.2100.6 clicking on the Files page while trying to restore a database to a SQL 2008 R2 server. Total freeze up, I have to resort to scripting restores now.

Mark Harby Nottingham, UK

Friday, October 26, 2012 12:25 PM
  • I have a very similar issue.  When I use the SSMS 2012 SP1 console to connect to any down-level SQL Servers, if I select a database to restore from in the restore dialog, it often freezes with just the word "Ready" in the upper-left corner.  I can kill just that dialog in Task Manager and go through the same process again with the same database and it often works the second time.  It doesn't always happen the first time either.  It seems completely random and happens maybe about 60% of the time.  This never happens with SSMS 2008 R2.  There are many niceties in the 2012 console that make me want to use it full time - those and the fact that the order of the restore from / restore to drop-downs was switched around - so going back and forth sometimes gets confusing.  Any thoughts on this problem?  I've cleaned up my job history everywhere so that is nice and tidy.
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:59 PM
  • This problem is very frustrating.  It occurs on any instance I have installed, on any database in that instance, and on every machine (even my dev box at home).  I do not think it has anything to do with corruption of SSMS (unless I am to believe that SSMS is corrupted on all of these different machines and instances)
    Friday, July 17, 2015 1:51 PM