none
Basic Question: Why is the SQL Server Job Database named "msdb?" RRS feed

• Question

• This is one of those things that you get used to seeing after a while and stop questioning.

For some reason it was recently going through my head as to the descriptiveness of naming dbs and realized I didn't have a clue where the name for the msdb database came from.

Asking around, googling, etc, I have yet to find anybody that knows.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:28 PM

Answers

• I don't know the authoritative answer but I'm reasonably sure 'ms' stands for Microsoft.  I guess you can figure out what 'db' means :-)

I wouldn't use such a name for a user database, thought.  The standard in our shop is to name databases descriptively.

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/
    • Marked as answer by KJian_ Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:34 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:45 PM
  • Agreed. The msdb database was introduced in version 6.0, which was released 1995. So the name was probably picked around -93/94 (development of 6.0). Perhaps they envisioned this database to be used for more system related stuff than only Agent related. And in fact, it is used for non-agent related stuff. Database Mail, and backup istory tables are two examples which aren't (necesarily) Agent related.
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog
    Friday, August 19, 2011 6:32 AM

All replies

• I don't know the authoritative answer but I'm reasonably sure 'ms' stands for Microsoft.  I guess you can figure out what 'db' means :-)

I wouldn't use such a name for a user database, thought.  The standard in our shop is to name databases descriptively.

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:45 PM
  • Agreed. The msdb database was introduced in version 6.0, which was released 1995. So the name was probably picked around -93/94 (development of 6.0). Perhaps they envisioned this database to be used for more system related stuff than only Agent related. And in fact, it is used for non-agent related stuff. Database Mail, and backup istory tables are two examples which aren't (necesarily) Agent related.
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog
    Friday, August 19, 2011 6:32 AM
  • Thanks a bunch, I was wondering the same thing.  Would be enjoyable to have an authorative answer...

Just for the sake of impressing fellow DBAs who probably don't know the exact answer either.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 5:36 PM