none
Impersonate the authenticated user after a connection has been made to the data source RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

when do we really use this option "Impersonate the authenticated user after a connection has been made to the data source".I am using database authentication for a data source and I see the report.But when i check this above impersonate option,I am getting error.Can someone answer...

Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Arun,

You can use this option to work around the double-hop issue. For example, Server A for Reporting Services, Server B for Database, so Default NTLM authentication cannot pass the domain account (Domain/UserA) from server A to the Server B.

If you want to use ‘Stored Credential’ to work around this then the account should be hard-coded in your Report Server. However, if you choose this option ‘Impersonate the authenticated user after a connection has been made to the data source’, then it will try to connect to the database in Server B with the Stored Credential and then the query will be executed as if it is run by that domain account ‘Domain/UserA’ with the SETUSER function.

Thanks,

Raymond
    Raymond Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Arun,

You can use this option to work around the double-hop issue. For example, Server A for Reporting Services, Server B for Database, so Default NTLM authentication cannot pass the domain account (Domain/UserA) from server A to the Server B.

If you want to use ‘Stored Credential’ to work around this then the account should be hard-coded in your Report Server. However, if you choose this option ‘Impersonate the authenticated user after a connection has been made to the data source’, then it will try to connect to the database in Server B with the Stored Credential and then the query will be executed as if it is run by that domain account ‘Domain/UserA’ with the SETUSER function.

Thanks,

Raymond
    Raymond Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

I am using this option for Mobile Reporting. I have used service account and then impersonating to domain/User but It is throwing error: 'Cannot execute as the database principal because the principal "Domain/User" does not exist, this type of principal cannot be impersonated, or you do not have permission.' 

I have access to Database and I can execute the Stored Procedure. anyone has any clue?

Thanks Shiven:) If Answer is Helpful, Please Vote

Monday, December 4, 2017 10:17 PM