none
Report Viewer export to excel / word not work (ReportViewer 2008)

    Question

  • I have an application which used local mode reports from ReportViewer 2005 (Visual Studio 2008 creation).  The application was recently converted to Visual Studio 2010.  When the reports were opened, they were updated (as recommended) to the latest ReportViewer version (2008).

    On my local development machine, the reports worked fine for displaying as well as exporting (Excel, Word, PDF).  On the development server (think Beta), the reports required installation of the ReportViewer.exe distributable before they would display or export.  Once this was done, everything worked as intended.

    Exact same source code of the application, exact same redistributable, were moved to staging (Release Candidate) server and tested.  Everything worked 'in the wild'.  Outages were scheduled, and everything moved to the production server.

    Here's where everything gets interesting.

    The production server (P1) displays the reports, however, exporting to excel exports a blank worksheet.  Exporting to word pops up the error "Word cannot start the converter msword632.wpc" and then fails to launch.  Exporting to PDF, however, works exactly as you'd expect.  All of the servers (P1, RC1, Beta1 and Alpha1) are all 'configuration managed' and SHOULD be identical loads and configurations, however, P1 is not working as any of the others.

    I'm looking for anything anyone can think of which can assist me to resolve this issue. 

    Thanks in advance.

    Monday, November 08, 2010 10:53 PM

Answers

  • I have had this issue resolved!

    With assistance from a MS SQL Server Support rep, we identified that the IUSR_ account of my server needed to be added with Full permissions on the C:\Windows\Temp directory.

    Your milage may vary on this, but this worked perfectly for me.

    • Marked as answer by Pyrrhonist Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:52 PM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:52 PM

All replies

  • There was an issue with the word conversion message you're seeing being caused by a security update.

    Not sure if it applies to you :-

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904

    Monday, November 08, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply,

    I'd stumbled across this message, but I've been assured by the NOS admins that any / all security patches will have been applied, including that one.  Doing a little digging on my own, I went to the specific registry key listed and confirmed it's existence on all servers though...so it doesn't appear that this does apply.

     

    Monday, November 08, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Hi Pyrrhonist,

    Based on your description, it seems the issue only happen when export a report to Office format.
    In order to isolate the issue, could you please try to export the report to XML, CSV, or other non-Office format, and check if it is fine?

    If other formats are fine too, the issue might be caused by Office client library. Please try to install the Office to check if the issue is solved.

    Thanks,
    Jin Chen


    Jin Chen - MSFT
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:36 AM
    Moderator
  • Sorry for not replying sooner, but for some odd reason I never received the e-mail that said a new message had been posted. No matter... I don't have the option to 'export to XML' or anything other than the default Word, PDF, Excel options. My understanding is that these are the default / limited options that are available for Local mode (rdlc) reports...? You mention the office components though...I had wondered at the specific office product not working hiccup, but never thought to dig deeper...mostly because the servers are supposed to be identical image loads...however, I talked to someone this morning who mentioned that they may not be identical. So I'll look into the version / dlls of Office that are loaded onto the servers...heck, may well be the case office was never loaded onto those servers! Thanks for the suggestion...I'll post my findings.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:09 PM
  • I have had this issue resolved!

    With assistance from a MS SQL Server Support rep, we identified that the IUSR_ account of my server needed to be added with Full permissions on the C:\Windows\Temp directory.

    Your milage may vary on this, but this worked perfectly for me.

    • Marked as answer by Pyrrhonist Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:52 PM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:52 PM