none
Having problems installing/setting up SQL Server 2008 Express/R2 for ASP.NET user management on development PC RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a bit new to installing and configuring, well, just about anything regarding databases, so please bear with me.

I'm currently building a couple of ASP.NET MVC 2 sites.  I'm following along with the MVCMusicStore tutorial, and am trying to set up user management using ASP.NET's configuration tool.  The problem is that ASP.NET can't 'see' the database.

I have SQL Server 2008 installed on my laptop.  It's the version which is available on the Web Platform Installer (I believe it's Express).  When I try running the aspnet_sqlreg.exe program to set up my user management database, it can't tell that I'm running any version of SQL Server at all.  I get an exception about 'named pipes', and some other things I don't understand at the moment.

Obviously, this is all a bit over my head.  Is there an idiot proof guide or tutorial available that describes, step-by-step, how to:

1. Install SQL Server 2008 on a development PC
    2. How to configure it to be used by Visual Studio 2010 Professional
    3. How to properly upload/modify the db on the production server with what's on the development PC

Essentially, all the things that the ASP.NET tutorials gloss over.  Any suggestions, links to documentation, or other nudges in the right direction would be immensely appreciated.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

Welcome to SQL Server forums and thanks for your question!

>> 1. Install SQL Server 2008 on a development PC

From your description, you have successfully installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Express from Web Platform Installer. However, you may not install SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE) 2008 R2 which graphical tools to manage SQL Server instance. You can download SSMSE 2008 R2 from Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 RTM – Management Studio.

>> 2. How to configure it to be used by Visual Studio 2010 Professional

From your error message, it seems that the SQL Server instance is not accessible from ASP.NET. Please enable appropriate SQL Server protocols such as TCP/IP, Named Pipes using SQL Server Configuration Manager. If the SQL Server is running on another server, you may need to configure SQL Server to allow remote connection. You can refer to the following documentation below:

·          How to: Enable Remote Connections on SQL Server

·          Enable Remote Connection on SQL Server 2008 Express

·          Allow TCP UDP Port Number on Windows Vista or Window Server 2008

>>3. How to properly upload/modify the db on the production server with what's on the development PC

You could install SQL Server client tools – SQL Server Management Studio and connection SQL Server remotely.

Besides, if you have any questions about ASP.NET, you could post the issue in the ASP.NET Forums.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 7:14 AM