none
SSIS Flat File Destination

Question

• I have a requirement to output some large data sets as flat files.

They have specified the file format and I have no issues with all but one thing. They want the data files to end with "the standard EOF character that is used in Linux". When I look at the file I produce with SSIS in a text editor that shows the HEX values the last thing I see in the file is the newlline (0A) chactare for the last line. How can I get it to insert this EOF character they want?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:31 PM

All replies

• Can you use a Script Task on the Control Flow (after the Data FLow) and open the file, go to the end, insert the characher(s) then save and close it?
    Todd C - MSCTS SQL Server 2005 - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.
    • Proposed as answer by Kalman Toth Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:28 AM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:19 PM
  • As Todd said you should use Script task for Inserting EOF open file, insert new character, and close it.

To convert from HEX to ASCII -- script task- but this cannot be done at file level :(

convert-hex-data-to-ascii

Hope this will help you in someway.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:56 PM
  • I figured that might be the only way to go, but wanted to make sure there wasn't a setting I am missing. I wanted to avoid it because some of the files are going to be extremely large initially (serveral GB).

There is a good chance that they can live without the EOF character though.

Thanks for the reply.

Tim Harris
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:38 PM