none
What's the minimum configuration to run dtexec on windows 2003 server (32-bit)?

Question

• This question seems rather simple but I haven't found a definitive answer.

Here the situation.  DBA does not want to have SSIS packages running on the SQL server 2008 R2 box so another Windows 2003 server has been setup just to handle the execution of the SSIS packages.  So the impact to the running the package really hits the Windows 2003 server's memory and it's local resources.  Granted, SQL Server 2008R2 will have resources used when the inserts happen but Windows 2003 server uses it's local resources when running the local package.

What needs to be installed on this Windows 2003 server in order to run DTexec?

The packages are moving data into SQL Server 2008 R2 from local files. Connection to SQL Server uses OLEDB connections.

I thought that all that was required was the SQL Server 2008R2 client tools. 

Can anyone respond what definitively needs to be installed on a plain Windows 2003 server (32-bit) in order to run a DTexec from a file like the following:

DTEXEC /FILE "C:\FINCPackages\tblRolTypAttunity.dtsx"  /CHECKPOINTING OFF /REPORTING E

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Sid

Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:27 PM

Answers

• Ah, selecting all the shared features is more than just "the client tools" :)
    What is considered as the client tools is BIDS and SSMS (Management Tools).

Since you've selected the Integration Services option, the necessary binaries (and also the service) are installed, so you have everything you need to run SSIS packages.

edit: I've written a blog post about it: When is DTEXEC installed?

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

• Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:12 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Eileen Zhao Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:17 AM
    • Edited by Koen VerbeeckMVP Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:33 AM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 7:00 AM

All replies

• DTEXEC is installed when you install SQL Server, so my guess is you'd still have to install SQL Server itself. Although you don't use it...

Friday, January 4, 2013 10:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply but let's keep guessing to Lotto.

I would prefer to hear from someone who either has experience doing this very thing or from someone on the SQL Team who knows what pieces exactly have to be installed.

Sid

Friday, January 4, 2013 1:36 PM
  • You don't need SSIS installed to run dtexec since it is considered a client application but you do need to install SQL database(with license).  But I think SQL express and some additional toolkits that were available allowed you to run dtexec-correct me if I am wrong but I am quite sure I remember doing this under sql 2005 express .
    Friday, January 4, 2013 10:56 PM
  • You don't need SSIS installed to run dtexec since it is considered a client application but you do need to install SQL database(with license).  But I think SQL express and some additional toolkits that were available allowed you to run dtexec-correct me if I am wrong but I am quite sure I remember doing this under sql 2005 express .

SSIS doesn't work with SQL Express.

You need at least SQL Server standard edition.

Sunday, January 6, 2013 9:00 PM
  • Hey Koen, dtexec does not need SSIS to run, it is it's own application, you only need SSIS if you want to deploy to the server, file based dtsx installations don't need SSIS on the machine at all.   I am 99.9% sure there was some toolkit/sdk under sql 2005 that allowed dtexec to run with only sqlexpress installed (not SSIS as you have pointed out).  This type of setup would obviouly be a file based installation without the packages deployed to an SSIS instance.  But I am not sure if a similar toolkit exists for 2008+.

Monday, January 7, 2013 3:30 AM
  • Hey Koen, dtexec does not need SSIS to run, it is it's own application, you only need SSIS if you want to deploy to the server, file based dtsx installations don't need SSIS on the machine at all.   I am 99.9% sure there was some toolkit/sdk under sql 2005 that allowed dtexec to run with only sqlexpress installed (not SSIS as you have pointed out).  This type of setup would obviouly be a file based installation without the packages deployed to an SSIS instance.  But I am not sure if a similar toolkit exists for 2008+.

I never said dtexec needs the SSIS service to run. I said SSIS doesn't work with Express.

Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2012

In Express, the Import/Export wizard - which relies on dtexec - works, but that's about it.

@sidlet: when you install the client tools, the 32-bit version of dtexec is installed. (probably for the import/export wizard and possibly maintenance plans) However, this doesn't mean you can actually use it to run packages. I'll have to test it out...

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:07 AM
  • Thanks for all the replies but I think we're getting off base here.

I went ahead and started out installing the Client Tools SDK which installs dtexec but that wasn't enough to get dtexec running.

After much consideration I eventually installed all pieces of "Shared Client Tools (execpt BIDS)" for 2008R2 on the windows 2003 server.

Dtexec runs like a dream now but during my installation process I completely butchered my server.  So it wasn't very clean install process.  In other words I not really sure if I install all the Client tools (except BIDS) from scratch on a new windows 2003 server that what I'm experiencing now (a running system) would work straight through.

I would appraciate if someone could try and install all the Client Tools (execpt BIDS) for 2008R2 and see if you can run a command line DTexec.

Thanks,

Sid

Monday, January 7, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Finally, I have tried the install of only the client tools, without BIDS.
    DTEXEC doesn't run from the command line. I get an error saying SSIS needs to be installed. You can run the Import/Export wizard though.

In the set-up, when you install Integration Services, you install some libraries and the SSIS service.
    It's those libraries dtexec needs to actually run packages. You can disable the SSIS service, and dtexec will still run.

With "all the client tools", what do you exactly mean? What have you selected in the set-up?

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:06 PM
  • When installing the Client Tools I selected the following group: Shared Features

And then I only unselected the BIDS option:

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:42 PM
  • Ah, selecting all the shared features is more than just "the client tools" :)
    What is considered as the client tools is BIDS and SSMS (Management Tools).

Since you've selected the Integration Services option, the necessary binaries (and also the service) are installed, so you have everything you need to run SSIS packages.

edit: I've written a blog post about it: When is DTEXEC installed?

• Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:12 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Eileen Zhao Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:17 AM
    • Edited by Koen VerbeeckMVP Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:33 AM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 7:00 AM