none
Running SQL Server instances with different port RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have installed 2 SQL instances on same server (1 default and 1 named instances respectively).  Now I have a query on which port does these 2 instances listen on, is it default port 1433(as I haven't configured any port in config manager).

Is it possible to make named instance listen on different port? if possible please let me know how to do it as I could not find the procedure to do so.

Regards,

V

Friday, July 5, 2019 2:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

each instance musst have a different port.

You can check your port in the ERRORLOG.

You can change the port of the instance in the sql server confiugration manager.

There are a lot of pages in the internet:

https://www.ryadel.com/en/sql-server-change-default-tcp-1433-port-mssql/

Kind regards,

Andreas

• Marked as answer by Raje14 Friday, July 5, 2019 6:23 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2019 5:56 AM
  • Hi All,

I have installed 2 SQL instances on same server (1 default and 1 named instances respectively).  Now I have a query on which port does these 2 instances listen on, is it default port 1433(as I haven't configured any port in config manager).

Is it possible to make named instance listen on different port? if possible please let me know how to do it as I could not find the procedure to do so.

Regards,

V

Hello Varun,

1) In this case, Your Default instance uses port 1433.

2) Your named instance instance uses a dynamic port assigned by the browser services. You can follow this article to change your named instance to use a static port of your choice.

Regards;
    Vivek Janakiraman
    ----------------------------
    My Blog
    My Linkedin Page

• Marked as answer by Raje14 Friday, July 5, 2019 6:24 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2019 6:03 AM
  • Also is it possible to make both instances run on same port as I understand TCP ports bind with services and can't run 2 instances on same port..

No both the instances cannot listen on same port the one which come online first or is listening first would have sole access on the port the second instance would not be able to use it. If you force the 2nd instance will give exception and would not come online.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

• Marked as answer by Raje14 Friday, July 5, 2019 7:35 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2019 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can change the port of the instance in the sql server confiugration manager.

Kind regards,

Andreas

• Marked as answer by Raje14 Friday, July 5, 2019 6:23 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2019 5:56 AM
  • Hi All,

Regards,

V

Hello Varun,

1) In this case, Your Default instance uses port 1433.

2) Your named instance instance uses a dynamic port assigned by the browser services. You can follow this article to change your named instance to use a static port of your choice.

Regards;
    Vivek Janakiraman
    My Blog
    My Linkedin Page

• Marked as answer by Raje14 Friday, July 5, 2019 6:24 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2019 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

Kind regards,

Andreas

Thanks.. I have googled but could not find any link for changing port for second instance.. ur link helped...

Also is it possible to make both instances run on same port as I understand TCP ports bind with services and can't run 2 instances on same port.. Please correct if my understanding is wrong..

Regards,

V

Friday, July 5, 2019 6:32 AM
  • Also is it possible to make both instances run on same port as I understand TCP ports bind with services and can't run 2 instances on same port..

No both the instances cannot listen on same port the one which come online first or is listening first would have sole access on the port the second instance would not be able to use it. If you force the 2nd instance will give exception and would not come online.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

• Marked as answer by Raje14 Friday, July 5, 2019 7:35 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2019 7:12 AM