none
Merge Replcation between SQL versions 10.5 and 14.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Having successfully configured merge replication between a number of SQL version 12.0 SQL Express databases and a SQL 14.0 server, hosting the respective distributor databases, I have run into a problem with the final database (which is SQL Version 10.5). The first thing that I noticed was that when the SQL Express backup was restored to the SQL version 14.0 server, an upgrade process occurred, which I did not see when restoring restoring 12.0 databases.

The were no problems creating the merge publication but there was an error when attempting to create the subscription for the SQL version 10.0 database. When the Subscription Wizard attempted to connect to the subscriber database, the following error occurred.

Invalid object name 'sys.availability_group_listeners'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 208)

The SSMS has no problem connecting to the SQL 10.5 database from the SQL 14.0 server, so I assume that this is not a basic connection error, but more related to something that the Subscription Wizard attempts to immediately after connecting.

I think that I probably need to upgrade the the SQL 10.5 SQLEXPRESS to at least SQL 12.0, but before I do that, I would like to see whether this is actually necessary.

R Campbell

Friday, May 10, 2019 1:13 AM

Answers

• And 2008 will be end of life in about 6 weeks too so its probably a good idea to upgrade it anyway.  Its only an Express version so easy enough to do.  If your publisher is 2014, maybe just put the Express server on that too?

Thanks,
    Matt

• Marked as answer by Dick Campbell Sunday, May 12, 2019 11:24 AM
    Sunday, May 12, 2019 11:09 AM

All replies

• HI,

Yeah you'll need to upgrade for that to be accepted.  sys.availability_group_listeners is what is used for AlwaysOn, so that will need to be 2012 for it to be understood.

Although if you're not using AlwaysOn then you could maybe exclude those tables from the publication?

Thanks,

Matt

Sunday, May 12, 2019 10:53 AM
  • HI,

Yeah you'll need to upgrade for that to be accepted.  sys.availability_group_listeners is what is used for AlwaysOn, so that will need to be 2012 for it to be understood.

Although if you're not using AlwaysOn then you could maybe exclude those tables from the publication?

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks, I didn’t explicitly include any sys tables in the publication, only user tables. I will take a closer look tomorrow. In the meantime I did find some information stating that this feature was introduced in SQL Server 2012 so I think that an upgrade is indicated.

R Campbell

Sunday, May 12, 2019 11:06 AM
  • And 2008 will be end of life in about 6 weeks too so its probably a good idea to upgrade it anyway.  Its only an Express version so easy enough to do.  If your publisher is 2014, maybe just put the Express server on that too?

Thanks,
    Matt

• Marked as answer by Dick Campbell Sunday, May 12, 2019 11:24 AM
    Sunday, May 12, 2019 11:09 AM
  • Thanks again. This the last of 8 sites, the only one that isn’t already SQL 2012, so it caught me by surprise. There was a hardware and a number of software errors when I attempted the SQL upgrade so I have recommended a new PC. This is the oldest one in the system by far. It’s time to bring it up to date, to the current standard build I think. Thanks for your help.

R Campbell

Sunday, May 12, 2019 11:23 AM