none
Problem installing SQL Server 2005 fails on MSXML6

Question

•  

For some reason when ever try to install SQL Server 2005 the install fails on MSXML6.

I get the following log file, can anyone make any sense of this.

=== Verbose logging started: 30/08/2007  22:16:00  Build type: SHIP UNICODE 3.01.4000.4039  Calling process: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\setup.exe ===
    MSI (c) (84:10) [22:16:00:859]: Resetting cached policy values
    MSI (c) (84:10) [22:16:00:859]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
    MSI (c) (84:10) [22:16:00:859]: ******* RunEngine:
               ******* Product: {AEB9948B-4FF2-47C9-990E-47014492A0FE}
               ******* Action:
               ******* CommandLine: **********
    MSI (c) (84:10) [22:16:00:859]: Client-side and UI is none or basic: Running entire install on the server.
    MSI (c) (84:10) [22:16:00:859]: Grabbed execution mutex.
    MSI (c) (84:10) [22:16:00:859]: Cloaking enabled.
    MSI (c) (84:10) [22:16:00:859]: Attempting to enable all disabled priveleges before calling Install on Server
    MSI (c) (84:10) [22:16:00:859]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
    MSI (s) (40:88) [22:16:00:859]: Grabbed execution mutex.
    MSI (s) (40:58) [22:16:00:859]: Resetting cached policy values
    MSI (s) (40:58) [22:16:00:859]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
    MSI (s) (40:58) [22:16:00:859]: ******* RunEngine:
               ******* Product: {AEB9948B-4FF2-47C9-990E-47014492A0FE}
               ******* Action:
               ******* CommandLine: **********
    MSI (s) (40:58) [22:16:00:859]: Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0
    MSI (s) (40:58) [22:16:00:859]: MainEngineThread is returning 1605
    MSI (c) (84:10) [22:16:00:859]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
    MSI (c) (84:10) [22:16:00:859]: MainEngineThread is returning 1605
    === Verbose logging stopped: 30/08/2007  22:16:00 ===

Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:34 PM

Answers

• I found it. This is the solution. Thanks To krobson

In this page...

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2113041&isthread=false&siteid=1&authhash=aad032b508898d0d2d15a68c05396c2b476b4c7c&ticks=633247841167440228

The Solution is also here.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey,

I had the same issues installing MSXML6.0 with my SQL Server 2005 Express Edition as part of CRM Dynamics 3.0. Despite there being no policy (local or global) in place to enforce such a thing, I kept getting a failed installation of SQL Express due to an issue with MSXML6.0. Whenever I tried to install MSXML6.0 stand-alone, all I would receive is this blasted error message:

"The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation"

I tried several things over several hours including the following:

- registered then unregistered Windows installer package

- uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Installer package

- logging on as local admin to install

- creating a policy and enforcing the use of Windows Installer, as well as elevating the install rights of everyone.

- getting desperate I removed and reinstalled the .NET framework 1.1, 2 and 3 (this was the last thing I changed before having the issues)

- basically tried every recommendation I found through Google on every forum...TO NO AVAIL.

I used the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) to remove the install configuration for MSXML6.0.

After that being done, everything works fine now and no words can express my relief...

I hope this helps someone else.

Kris

Saturday, September 8, 2007 12:50 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem, Found that I could install the package seperatly in some cases but the SQL Install for Dev edition and Express edition (Through VS Setup) does not work and the full setup fails.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 10:15 PM
  •  

I was able to install the SQL Express Edition with the latest Service pack intergrated into the instal, but then installing the developer edition over the top I get the same errors. Dev edition will not install.
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 10:46 PM
  • I have tried transfering the Files from the CD to the Hard Drive, and it does not work. I have even re downloaded the msxml package from MS Downloads and swapped it into the install to see if that works. But still nothing seems to work.

Friday, August 31, 2007 12:46 AM
  •  

Initially even the SQLExpress edition wouldnt install because of the same problem but when I downloaded MSXML6 by itself it seem to work. However SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition doesn't install.

Friday, August 31, 2007 8:35 AM
  • anyone get a solution to this problem, i;m having similar issues installing SQL Server 2005 standard. Keeps failing on MSXML6. I've tried uninstalling msxml6 and reinstalling from sql disk and a fresh download from ms site but always get "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation"

I run regmon from sysinternals - lots of reg activity, so hard to analyse, but I noticed that msiexec.exe was trying to get HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\TMAS_OEHook.dll key but getting "NOT FOUND" - this is part of trend pc cillin 12 - not sure if relevant.

Friday, August 31, 2007 8:20 PM
  • Looks like I fixed it.

I tried uninstalling msxml6 but it wouldn't saying "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

So I found this forum post

http://207.46.236.188/msdn/rss.aspx?postid=1977209&forumid=26&siteid=1

I downloaded http://www.ursoftware.com/download.php to uninstall msxml6

Looks like a great util as I've loads of old *** on my home pc.

I then run the msxml6 from sql server disk 1 and it worked Smile

So then rerun sql server setup and all seems okay.

Well that's my friday evening wasted, I was intending to get some coding done but that will be saturday wasted as well now.

Friday, August 31, 2007 9:12 PM
  • I was quite excited when I got seen your post. However when I used the ursoftware to remove MSXML6 and tried to reinstall SQL server it failed in the same way.

Isnt there anyone from microsoft out there than can help us!!!!!

Why is this happening!!!

Saturday, September 1, 2007 5:31 PM
  • Has anybody solved this problem? I have the same problem and dont know what to do. I have uninstalled this but when I try to rienstall SQL Server the problem already happens.

How is possible that Microsoft has not solved it?

Thanks

Saturday, September 8, 2007 12:01 AM
  • I found it. This is the solution. Thanks To krobson

In this page...

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2113041&isthread=false&siteid=1&authhash=aad032b508898d0d2d15a68c05396c2b476b4c7c&ticks=633247841167440228

The Solution is also here.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey,

I had the same issues installing MSXML6.0 with my SQL Server 2005 Express Edition as part of CRM Dynamics 3.0. Despite there being no policy (local or global) in place to enforce such a thing, I kept getting a failed installation of SQL Express due to an issue with MSXML6.0. Whenever I tried to install MSXML6.0 stand-alone, all I would receive is this blasted error message:

"The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation"

I tried several things over several hours including the following:

- registered then unregistered Windows installer package

- uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Installer package

- logging on as local admin to install

- creating a policy and enforcing the use of Windows Installer, as well as elevating the install rights of everyone.

- getting desperate I removed and reinstalled the .NET framework 1.1, 2 and 3 (this was the last thing I changed before having the issues)

- basically tried every recommendation I found through Google on every forum...TO NO AVAIL.

I used the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) to remove the install configuration for MSXML6.0.

After that being done, everything works fine now and no words can express my relief...

I hope this helps someone else.

Kris

Saturday, September 8, 2007 12:50 AM
  • you rock absalon78!  That did the job for me!  thank you for taking the time to share it with us!

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:26 PM
  • Absalon78's solution is hereby verified.

Thanks Absalon78!!

After many uninstalls / reinstalls / head scratching and frustration, it finally works with your solution.

Cheers!!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:24 AM
  •  

Thanks absalon78, it worked, im even furstrated with installing and uninstalling various softwares. But as u said i used Windows Installer cleanup. It worked.

Thank you very much....great work....

Saturday, April 19, 2008 4:58 AM
  •  

And let me add a further vote of confidence to this solution.  Download the tool and use it to cleanup the MSXML6 stuff and then your SQL Server 2005 install will work.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:59 AM
  • I have tried both the YourUninstaller approach and the Windows Uninstaller, and I am still getting the same message when I try to install MSXML6. The system administrator has set the local security policy to prevent this installation.

The problem was that there was no trace of MSXML6 being installed, and therefore neither of the above could uninstall it.

I then went through the registry and deleted all references to MSXML6. Finally after a few more attempts I was able to install it.

If any one from Microsoft is listening, I have had no end of problems trying to install SQL Server 2005, and lost not just hours but days of unproductive work.

To be quite frank I was only installing it to work with some client's data. I used to work with on SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services and it was so bad that I went back to Applix (now IBM Cognos) TM1. It just looked like programming that had been rushed out. Lists just appeared in the order of entry. There was no option to sort them. The security basically doesn't work as soon as you start doing any reasonably complex MDX, which for Analysis Services seems to be something like a Cumulative, which you don't even need to write rules for in TM1.

Regards

Paul

Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Thanks, this worked for me..
    Monday, May 19, 2008 8:44 PM
  •  

I had similar problem as above, but had to add an additional registry editing step (not listed).

Here's complete write up of the steps that worked on this pc... (Thanks to the tip for the first fix from Xiaochuan's spaces http://cid-c06fe3569bc575d9.spaces.live.com/)

Initial Problem: Error installing MSDN SQL 2005 on Windows XP pro SP 2, due to MSXML6 "Setup Failed"

After reading plenty of posts, determine failure is isolated to running msxml6.msi installer.

I had two different errors running the MSXML6 installer.

Error #1 - MSXML6 (msxlm6.msi) install fails because "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation ..."
    Error #2 - "Installation of MSXML 6.0 Parser failed because a higher version is already exits on the machine. To proceed, uninstall the higher version and then run MSXML 6.0 Parser Setup again."

So here's the steps that fixed both, and allowed msxml6.mxi to be inastlled... and subsequently sql msdn...

Install #1 - Run msxml6.msi (you can get this off SQL install CD (in D:\ENGLISH\SQL2005\DEVELOPER\SQL Server x86\Server\Setup\msxml6.msi) or download it)

Error #1 - MSXML6 (msxlm6.msi) install fails because "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation ..."

Fix #1 -

1. Open regedit.exe from "Start->Run"
    2. Find the path via "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> Installer -> Products"
    3. Delete all the subkeys if they don't contain
       anything (there is no "+" before their folder icons ) under "Products".

Install #2 - Re-run msxml6.msi

Error #2 - "Installation of MSXML 6.0 Parser failed because a higher version is
    already exits on the machine. To proceed, uninstall the higher version
    and then run MSXML 6.0 Parser Setup again."

Fix #2

1. Open regedit from "Start->Run"
    2. Find a folder similar to Hkey_local_machine\software\classes\installer\products\5A6FB34A0F5DAAA4FB1456990536CE44
    3. Select it and check the keys inside it to confirm it is the MSXML6 parser key
    4. Copy key to text file (it may be different than the above)
    5. Delete this key
    6. Search through the rest of the registry, and delete all references (keys and folders) to this key.
    (Note step 6 may not be necessary... you could try after step 5)

Install #3 try msxml6.msi installer for the third time... it works for me... four hours later.

• Proposed as answer by anmolsaraf Monday, February 1, 2010 11:56 AM
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 1:44 AM
  •  

I had similar problem as above, but had to add an additional registry editing step (not listed).

Here's complete write up of the steps that worked on this pc... (Thanks to the tip for the first fix from Xiaochuan's spaces http://cid-c06fe3569bc575d9.spaces.live.com/)

Initial Problem: Error installing MSDN SQL 2005 on Windows XP pro SP 2, due to MSXML6 "Setup Failed"

After reading plenty of posts, determine failure is isolated to running msxml6.msi installer.

Error #2 - "Installation of MSXML 6.0 Parser failed because a higher version is already exits on the machine. To proceed, uninstall the higher version and then run MSXML 6.0 Parser Setup again."

So here's the steps that fixed both, and allowed msxml6.mxi to be inastlled... and subsequently sql msdn...

Install #1 - Run msxml6.msi (you can get this off SQL install CD (in D:\ENGLISH\SQL2005\DEVELOPER\SQL Server x86\Server\Setup\msxml6.msi) or download it)

Fix #1 -

Fix #2

2. Find a folder similar to Hkey_local_machine\software\classes\installer\products\5A6FB34A0F5DAAA4FB1456990536CE44
    3. Select it and check the keys inside it to confirm it is the MSXML6 parser key
    5. Delete this key
    6. Search through the rest of the registry, and delete all references (keys and folders) to this key.

Install #3 try msxml6.msi installer for the third time... it works for me... four hours later.

• Proposed as answer by anmolsaraf Monday, February 1, 2010 11:57 AM
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 1:45 AM
  • man you really saved my life. I have been struggling for the past 3 days to install. I think the main problem is due to the MSXML6 error. Probably they might be using MSXML6 DOM to read properties from the XML file. How the heck you knew what registry entry to delete. Even error message is cryptic.

Thanks a million.

Friday, June 27, 2008 2:43 AM
  • I had the same problem. Here is the fix

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

I had the same problem.  Use the Windows Installer Cleanup to get rid of old setup files and reinstall the product.  Voila.  Well it worked for me, so I am hoping it will do the same for you Smile

Good Luck

Saturday, September 20, 2008 7:01 AM
  •  

Thank you mxparker, only your fix2 solution fixed my case.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:28 PM
  • Yes you are dead right... furthermore reading about this matter problem was caused due to installation of MSXML6.

In my case the component was not installed properly so therefore it was unable to uninstall it.

My only guest is [I might be wrong] after installing all office 2007 product suite, I might have had a corruption  on the system.

Anyways windows clean up utility save the day one more time.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 1:23 AM
  • 2009 Feb 27 To resolve the problem you need to use the latest updated version of MSXML6.1

I had the same problem until I updated to MSXML6 SP1 which is downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d21c292c-368b-4ce1-9dab-3e9827b70604&displaylang=en 

Make sure you get version 6.10.1129.0.

Anthony Maw, Vancouver, Canada, www.anthonymaw.com

anthony maw/vancouver/canada
    Friday, February 27, 2009 10:40 PM
  • Hi  Waynos,

Thanks for the tip. The yoursoftware utility managed to uninstall msxml6 when no other utility would touch it. I uninstalled msxml6 and sql 2005 express SP2 and then installed sql 2005 express SP3 with advanced features (which installs msxml6) and it all worked.

Been on this a few days so getting the fix was great!!

Better find another MS product to test..
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:09 PM
  • This worked for me after much fighting
    Thanks heaps!!!! :)
    Regards
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:50 AM
  • 110% Perfect Solution Kris!! Thank you very much. You saved my life :)
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:34 AM
  •  

Here's complete write up of the steps that worked on this pc... (Thanks to the tip for the first fix from Xiaochuan's spaces http://cid-c06fe3569bc575d9.spaces.live.com/ )

Fix #1 -

Fix #2

5. Delete this key

Thanks a million MxParker and absalon78, i was looking for a solution as these since many weeks.. Thanks again.
    • Edited by anmolsaraf Monday, February 1, 2010 11:58 AM type error
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Thank you for posting this.  I just ran into the same issue and was scratching my head over it!
    Monday, April 26, 2010 5:50 PM
  • I ran into this issue on the last of 50 laptops that i was installing SQL Server 2005 on....and on a friday afternoon at that.

Using the Windows Install Cleanup i was able to resolve the issue and install successfully.

Big thanks to Kris!

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:05 PM
  • I spent the past week trying to figure this out. The Windows Install Cleaner worked. 

Thanks!!!

Friday, May 7, 2010 4:26 AM
  • This answer helped me with the same problem.

thanks Kris!!!!!!!

Monday, May 17, 2010 1:25 AM
  • The Windows Installer Clean-up utility has been pulled by Microsoft, is there another solution for this?  We have many customers still using XP.

Thanks,

Brandon

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Thanks so much. Following worked for me

Fix #1 -

dhekta
    • Proposed as answer by dhekta Monday, February 14, 2011 12:45 PM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 12:45 PM
  • I have Win XP Pro SP3 installed on my machine. The registry key mentioned above (5A6FB34A0F5DAAA4FB1456990536CE44) does not exists in my machine. Got this issue resolved after deleting the below registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\096825A1D2A65CB41B34C8A48E1DD969

• Edited by Vipul Mehta Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:46 AM Added the above mentioned reg key in my post
    • Proposed as answer by Melkamu Sunday, May 27, 2012 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Unbelievably helpful fix. I cannot properly express my gratitude.

Only to add that on Fix #2, the key number is random

"2. Find a folder similar to Hkey_local_machine\software\classes\installer\products\5A6FB34A0F5DAAA4FB1456990536CE44"

in my case was

Hkey_local_machine\software\classes\installer\products\0CB8AE65157339B4CBD96615CC635EAA

It was just a matter of finding the key that had the XML6 parser product.

Thanks again!!!!

Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:53 PM