none
SQL Server Bootstrap installation error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm trying to create an installer for SQL Server to embed it in my application. I'm using this string:

Setup.exe /qs /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQL,Tools /INSTANCENAME=MyNamedInstance /SECURITYMODE=SQL /SAPWD=****** /TCPENABLED=1 /SQLSVCACCOUNT=Lucas-Notebook\Lucas Phillip /SQLSVCPASSWORD=****** /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN=true

but then I get the following error: "The specified credentials that were provided for the SQL Server service are not valid".

I'm trying to install a new instance of Sql Server (there is already another instance installed). I'm using a random password such as b*3kd$l4.

What am I doing wrong? I have no idea :( How can I provide the correct credentials if what i'm trying to do is to create a new instance with new credentials???

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:07 PM

Answers

• It realy was a problem with the authentication.

I've found some exemples and changed the account to "NT Authority\Network Service" so I wouldn't need a password. I think it worked better that way.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Lucas Phillip Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Lucas,

The root cause is the wrong setting of SQL Server Service account info (/SQLSVCACCOUNT  & /SQLSVCPASSWORD).The account and the password  are not matched or the account does not exist.
    If you don’t want to specify the password , using  built-in system accounts could be an option.
    Please refer to the two Book online documents  below :
    • How to: Install SQL Server 2008 R2 from the Command Prompt  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259.aspx/
    • Server Configuration - Service Accounts http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281953.aspx

Best Regards,
    Peja Tao

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 18, 2011 9:26 AM
  • It realy was a problem with the authentication.

I've found some exemples and changed the account to "NT Authority\Network Service" so I wouldn't need a password. I think it worked better that way.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Lucas Phillip Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:09 PM