none
SQL SERVER permission denied in master RRS feed

• Question

•  I have installed SQL Server 2012. I also have SQL server management studio. 

when I try to create a database I get the error  -> CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database "master".

(Microsoft SQL Server,error:262)

I am also denied access when I write a query.

HELP

Jay Smith

Friday, June 5, 2015 6:51 PM

Answers

• When you install SQL Server there is a screen that allows you to add your (or another set) credentials to the administrator group. Did you do that?
    add to admins
    Friday, June 5, 2015 7:02 PM
  • I was able to get the old SQL Server uninstalled and installed a new version.

I installed in mixed mode. I am now able to create and go to work.

thanks all

Jay

• Marked as answer by Jay8000 Sunday, June 14, 2015 11:14 AM
    Sunday, June 14, 2015 11:14 AM

All replies

• When you install SQL Server there is a screen that allows you to add your (or another set) credentials to the administrator group. Did you do that?
    add to admins
    Friday, June 5, 2015 7:02 PM
  • Hello,

Please try to run SQL Server Management Studio with the “Run as Administrator” option.

The following article may be useful.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb326612.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, June 5, 2015 7:18 PM
  • OOPs

No I did not do that.

I am not sure how to get to that configuration screen. I will work on that today.

Friday, June 12, 2015 7:46 AM
  • Hello,

Have you installed SQL Server in Windows authendication or Mixed Authendication mode.

If you have installed it on Mixed mode you can login to management studio with Sql server authendication using SA userid.

This will give you the complete rights on SQL Server. Then you can add your windows account as login

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue. Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue

Friday, June 12, 2015 9:13 AM
  • I am afraid I have REALLY screwed up this whole install.

I was not paying enough attention when I installed SQL Server 2012.

I have set up 2 users on my computer. The first is the system administrator with a password. Then I setup an account for myself that I use every day with no password. I installed SQL Server on that user.

I don’t remember how I installed it,  Windows authentication or Mixed Authentication mode. Over the last 2 weeks I have tried many things (I am sure only making things worse).

Now I cannot uninstall SQL Server, repair it, or anything else. To make matters worse I have changed the 2 accounts on this computer. Now the former administrator is just a plain user with no log in. And I have made my account the administrator with a new log in and password.

I have no idea where to go from here.

I am reasonably sure I need to start over with a whole new install.

Also I have Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 installed on this machine. (I like the interface of 2010 but am transitioning to 2012)

Friday, June 12, 2015 2:07 PM
  • I was able to get the old SQL Server uninstalled and installed a new version.

I installed in mixed mode. I am now able to create and go to work.

thanks all

Jay

• Marked as answer by Jay8000 Sunday, June 14, 2015 11:14 AM
    Sunday, June 14, 2015 11:14 AM