Infopath failed connection to data source error - but only for one user RRS feed

• Question

• I have created an infopath form that resides on our team sharepoint site with a data source (access database) located on our team network drive (an external data source).

This form works perfectly for *every* person on the team, with the exception of one person.

When the user opens the file from sharepoint, the form points to the correct location for the data source (I can see the connections in the security warning).

After selecting yes for the security warning, the user gets these errors:

"Failed connection to data source" - "One or more data sources that are required to open this form are not available. They may be temporarily offline or your computer might not be connected to the network. Try to connect to the data, etc..."

- when selecting "try to connect" option:

"The query cannot be run for the following DataObject: analyst

Infopath cannot run the specified query.

Inforpath cannot connect to the data source.

Infopath has encountered an error. The operation failed."

-when selecting "work offline" option:

"The form has requested data that is currently not available offline. The data will be available when your computer is connected to the network."

These are the troubleshooting steps I've taken:

Verified the data connection is correct and republished the form to sharepoint. (and still only one user cannot connect to the data source)

Verified user has correct permissions on sharepoint. (user is in same sharepoint group as team members, form inherits permissions from parent, no special permissions exist)

Verified user is mapped to the team network drive. Disconnected and re-mapped network drive.

Verified user is able to open the database which is the data source.

Verified that the form and data connections work for other team members, tested and re-tested by several team members, no errors occurred.

Verified that the error occurs on other PCs by having user log into my laptop and test, user got the same errors.

I have been told by two support groups (sharepoint and security) that they don't know what the problem is, but it isn't a problem in their area. 

I have suggested that there is a problem with the users profile/user account, and have been told repeatedly that the user account / profile couldn't possibly be the problem.

The sharepoint admin tested the form and claimed it was the data connection, however, that admin does not have access to the network drive where the database resides, so I'm inclined to think it is *not* the data connection.

The security admin claimed the user account was fine, but I do not have admin access to verify what the user account *should* look like, so there's that.

After checking all of these options, it sounds to me like the problem isn't with sharepoint, infopath, the database, or the data connections.

I do not have admin access to do very much more than try to eliminate possible problem areas and narrow down who I should contact next.

Can someone help me before my head explodes?

Thanks and cheers!

Additional troubleshooting information:

I opened the infopath document in edit mode on the users laptop. I was able to create the data connections in the data source. Trying to view the document in preview mode, the data connections failed.

Any ideas out there? I'm convinced it is something with this individual's user profile / account, but cannot convince support that is the problem.

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:24 PM

Answers

• EUREKA.

Solution? The network drive was mapped to a different letter (U:), than the network drive mapping in the infopath document (P:).

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that only one user cannot open the InfoPath form in SharePoint.

I recommend to check the things below:

1. Grant Full control permission to the user to see if the issue still occurs.
    2. Create a new InfoPath form with the same data source to see if the issue still occurs.

I also recommend to check the event log and ULS log to see if anything unexpected occurred. To check event log, click the Start button and type “Event Viewer” in the Search box.

For SharePoint 2010, by default, ULS log is at <C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS>. 

You can check the ULS log by the methods here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/opal/archive/2009/12/22/uls-viewer-for-sharepoint-2010-troubleshooting.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg193966(v=office.14).aspx

Best regards.

Thanks

Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:07 AM
  • Hi Victoria,

I'm not sure where to grant the user full control permission... I'm not an admin, so I'm not able to give admin priveleges on the PC.

There is a second InfoPath form that uses the same data source, the user is not able to connect to the data source via that form either. (again, she is the only user who is unable to use that form)

Also, I tried changing the security setting within the infopath form itself, Tools > Form Options > Security and Trust > deselected automatically determine security level and selected full trust. Doing that did not fix the user's problem, and caused me to be unable to open the form.

I will check the Event Viewer on their PC next. I was hoping to get enough information for a resolution to be able to tell local support how to solve this issue, since I'm not an admin I'm limited in what I can do.

Thank you!

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:48 AM
  • EUREKA.

Solution? The network drive was mapped to a different letter (U:), than the network drive mapping in the infopath document (P:).

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:46 PM