none
SQL 2016 on Premise release? RRS feed

• Question

• I hope this is the correct forum, if not sorry.
    I thought SQL 2016 was going to have a full blown on premise for Power BI?  One where we would not have to subscribe to the power bi services at all, but could instead host it all on your servers.  Is there still a plan to do that, and is there a time line for a release?

Thanks
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi gtjr92,

For now the SQL Server 2016 is the RTM version. And the Reporting Service 2016 can integrate the Power BI. Please refer: Power BI Report Server Integration (Configuration Manager) 

So in your scenario, did you have any specific requirements?

Thanks,

Xi Jin.

• Marked as answer by gtjr92 Friday, October 14, 2016 12:23 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by gtjr92 Friday, October 14, 2016 12:23 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:42 PM
  • Our biggest requirement is to have a truly independent on-premise version of power bi. We don't want to rely on a service for anything. I'm not familiar with the Azure Active Directory that is mentioned in the link, is that a subscription cloud service? We have active directory I don't think we have Azure Active Directory.

Ultimately if we can create reports in Power BI and then have then accessible in SSRS via the web that would be Ideal. I know you can upload a Power BI report to SSRS and then download it to a desktop but that is not ideal. 

We currently  use Tableau 10, and hope to transition away from this in favor of sql 2016 power bi, if it requires subscription services then it won't meet our need at this time.
    Friday, October 14, 2016 5:46 PM