none
Cannot create SQL connection string in VB.net 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• hi all

Please forgive me I used to use VB 6 many years ago and have since moved to an infrastructure position but would like to learn .net

I am using Visual studio 2013 installed on Windows 8 x64, I have an SQL server (not local) running SQL server 2008 x64, I have .net framework 4.0 installed on the server

in my application when I drag an SQL connection then select connection string, input the server name and windows authentication, then type the name of the database and click test, this is ok but when I click ok I am told

unable to find the requested .net framework data provider, it may not be installed

I am not sure if there is something missing from my machine or the server however I would have thought that since this is a new install of VS2013 all the components should be installed

Any help appreciated

thanks

Monday, January 20, 2014 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Did you use SQL Server Compact version?
    If so, you should try to install SQL Server Compact Toolbox add-in for Visual Studio.
    The SQL Server Compact Toolbox adds several features to allow you connect to SQL Server Compact 4.0 and 3.5 database files in Visual Studio 2013, 2012 and 2010.

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:01 AM