none
Data refresh in IRM enabled library didn't work in in PowerPivot for SharePoint 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Sharepoint 2016, Office Online Server 2016 and SSAS 2016 in sharepoint mode with PowerPivot for SharePoint 2016 farm deployed. I have several Excel files in document library with datasources to external data (SSAS for example). When I schedule data refresh it works fine but if I enable IRM in this library PowerPivot data refresh schedule form opens with message that Excel file doesn't have Data sources. I found in LOGs files that OOS2016 return error with message "Excel services can't open workbook which is protected by IRM". Well, if I open this file in browser and click to Refresh All data it works perfect. 
    The question is: Is this feature such made by design or it is bug?
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 10:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Eugene34,

Yes, within SharePoint, Information Rights Management(IRM) protection is applied to files at the list and library level.  When IRM is enabled for a library, rights management applies to all of the files in that library. When IRM is enabled for a list, rights management applies only to files that are attached to list items, not the actual list items.

Please refer to the following steps for applying IRM to a list or library.

1.Go to the list or library for which you want to configure IRM.

2.On the ribbon, click the Library tab, and then click Library Settings (If you are working in a list, click the List tab, and then click List Settings).

3. Under Permissions and Management, click Information Rights Management. On the Information Rights Management Settings page, set the permission according to your requirement.
    For more information, the article gives the detail description.

In addition, Information Rights Management (IRM) is also included in Office. For example, in Excel 2016, Click the Info->Protect Workbook, Right Click-> Restrict Access-> Restricted Access, you will get the catalog below. Then you can manage the users’ permission.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Hello, Angelia

thanks for answer. Sure, I know how IRM works. I need to make scheduled data refresh for Excel files in IRM enabled library. in SP2013 it is not possible because Excel services does not support IRM. Now Excel services functionality is moved to Office Online Server which support IRM/RMS and refresh data in manual scenario. But seems that PowerPivot for Sharepoint 2016 can't do schedule. There are no any documents, articles, etc where described what PP for SP2016 can or can not. I need answer like this: "PP can't do scheduled data refresh in IRM enabled library" or "PP can do data refresh if you do this and this things".

Best regards.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 8:52 AM
  • Hi Eugene34,

Sorry for inconvenience, as I tested, PP can't do schedule data refresh in IRM enabled library. I will update it here if I have the new information. Thanks for understunding.

Best Regard,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 11, 2016 1:04 PM