none
Installing OLAP project to the customer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a project done in Business Intelligence devolepment studio. I deployed the project and the corresponding analysis services appeared in SQL 2005. I created an excel file, I created pivot tables and i chose the OLAP cube to GetData.

My question is what should i install for the customer to use this excel file with all its features (that mean enable the user to drag and drop the measures and dimensions created in the OLAP cube project). Is there a way other than installing all the SQL Server 2005 Development Edition? I want to create a setup file for the customer what should i include in it?

Thank you

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

They will need OLE DB For OLAP Provider 9.0, which can be free downloaded from Microsoft site.

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:17 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Yongli Yang, Thanks for your help.

I installed the "SQLServer2005_ASOLEDB9" but nothing happened. Can you give me the exact name of the package please? and how i will restore my Analysis services project so the excel file can see it. I really appreciate your help.

Monday, October 29, 2007 8:15 AM
  • You might need MSXML 6.0 with the AS 9.0 OLEDB provider, but the install program should check for that.

However if you are using Excel as the client application, you will not need the OWC install.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:58 AM
  • Hi,

I installed the owc, msxml 6.0 and SOLServer2005_ASOLEDB9.msi but i need to know how to attach my Analysis services project. I opened the excel project and when i click on the button refresh data an error occurs telling me that i have to change the server name. So, I need a way to run the excel project that is linked to the analysis services without installing the entire Sql server developer edition. I need something like a wizard where the customer can use to install the project on a computer that does not have sql server developer 2005 and does not have visual studio .net. Help me please.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 7:37 AM
  • Ramosa,
    you don´t need to istall VS or SQL Server...
    Just these components....

Let´s go...
    1 - Create a user in your domain: (DOMAIN\UserAS)
    2 - Create a ROLE in your SSAS project
    3 - Add DOMAIN\UserAS to the role and assign the permissions to read the cubes.
    4  - Deploy your project

On Excel
    1 - Create a new File
    2 - Menu:  Data > Import External Data > New Query From Database
    3 - On "CUBOS OLAP" sheet click <New Data Source>
    4 - Write a name on step 1
    5 - Choose Analysis Services 9.0 on step 2
    6 - Click conectar on step 3
    7 - In MultiDimensional Conneciotn windows type the server IP address, username (DOMAIN\UserAS) and the password.
    8 - Click next to select the OLAP Database and finish
    9 - choose the cube on step 4 and click ok
    10 - nexts and finishs...

I think that´s it!
    bye

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:44 AM