none
One subscriber in the two replications, containing the same table. How can this be

Question

• There are 2 merge publications (MS SQL 2005)  that use the same table but with different filters. Each of them has their subscribers, but I accidentally discovered that one subscriber is contained in both publications. How such a scheme might work, it is unclear what will happen in the case of reinitialization etc.

Should I alter the scheme that this was a subscriber in one publication, or everything will work?

Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Briginevich,

Should I alter the scheme that this was a subscriber in one publication, or everything will work?

Based on my simple test, it works.

I do not understand the mechanism of work

For more information about “How Merge Replication Works”, I recommend that you refer to this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151329.aspx

When a reinitialization of the first publication, the table on the subscriber is removed, recreated, and it uploads the data from the first publication. how can run correctly merge agent second publication

Based on my test, if we have to reinitialize the subscription for second publication, we have to initialize the subscription manually without using a snapshot.

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Regards,
    Tom Li
    • Marked as answer by Briginevich Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:45 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:19 AM

All replies

• Bringinevich,

As u said publications are differeent...wht would be the issue having same subscriber to both publications...i dnt think there would be any problem...

Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:04 AM
  • I do not understand the mechanism of work. When a reinitialization of the first publication, the table on the subscriber is removed, recreated, and it uploads the data from the first publication. how can run correctly merge agent second publication (if it does not remove data at the Publisher because they deleted during the reinitialization of the first publication) ?
    Friday, August 20, 2010 7:08 AM
  • Hi Briginevich,

Based on my simple test, it works.

I do not understand the mechanism of work

For more information about “How Merge Replication Works”, I recommend that you refer to this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151329.aspx

When a reinitialization of the first publication, the table on the subscriber is removed, recreated, and it uploads the data from the first publication. how can run correctly merge agent second publication

Based on my test, if we have to reinitialize the subscription for second publication, we have to initialize the subscription manually without using a snapshot.

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Regards,
    Tom Li
    • Marked as answer by Briginevich Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:45 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:19 AM