none
do merge join inputs have to be sorted? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I run 2017 developer.  I know merge inputs need to be sorted.  Is the same true for the merge join component?  I've heard and read conflicting answers.
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 5:15 PM

Answers

• Yes, the Merge Join needs to be sorted.

If you dont want to use the sort component, you can do that from the OLE DB Source (if that is what you are using).

If that is the case, simply go to Advanced settings and go to the output Columns and set the SortKeyPosition.

me

• Marked as answer by db042190 Thursday, June 13, 2019 11:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:24 PM
  • Hi db042190,

In Integration Services, the Merge and Merge Join transformations require sorted data for their inputs. The input data must be sorted physically, and sort options must be set on the outputs and the output columns in the source or in the upstream transformation. If the sort options indicate that the data is sorted, but the data is not actually sorted, the results of the merge or merge join operation are unpredictable.

Please refer to Sort Data for the Merge and Merge Join Transformations.

Best Regards,

Mona Lv

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 13, 2019 1:45 AM

All replies

• What is "merge inputs"?

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 8:12 PM
  • Yes, the Merge Join needs to be sorted.

If you dont want to use the sort component, you can do that from the OLE DB Source (if that is what you are using).

If that is the case, simply go to Advanced settings and go to the output Columns and set the SortKeyPosition.

me

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:24 PM
  • Hi db042190,

In Integration Services, the Merge and Merge Join transformations require sorted data for their inputs. The input data must be sorted physically, and sort options must be set on the outputs and the output columns in the source or in the upstream transformation. If the sort options indicate that the data is sorted, but the data is not actually sorted, the results of the merge or merge join operation are unpredictable.

Please refer to Sort Data for the Merge and Merge Join Transformations.

Best Regards,

Mona Lv

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 13, 2019 1:45 AM