Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM' RRS feed

• Question

• We are continuously observing the below server some serves.

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database 'XXXX'. [CLIENT: XXX]

I recreated the login.It didnot work.

Friday, June 6, 2014 5:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Shanky.

This is the error mesage we are getting.

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 38.

Please see below link look for state 38 message

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2011/01/14/sql-server-v-next-denali-additional-states-for-error-18456.aspx

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Monday, June 9, 2014 6:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Friday, June 13, 2014 6:19 AM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 3:08 PM
  • Please share more details about this database and server and usage. Is it part of log-shipping, db auto-close is enabled, did db drop recently and logins are not mapped or somebody mistakenly played with login of this user.

Check below cases if any suits to your case and update.

Have you ever closed that SSMS and opened again and tried checking.

Some how db state is changing, it seems.

---------------------------------------

The database specified in the connection string, or selected in the Options > Connection Properties tab of the SSMS connection dialog, is no longer valid or online (it might be set to AutoClose or the user may simply not have permission).  I came across this once when I typed <default> here instead of picking that option from the list.  This is reported as state 27 or state 16 prior to SQL Server 2008. 

Note that this could also be a symptom of an orphaned login. After establishing mirroring, Availability Groups, log shipping, etc. you may have created a new login or associated a user with a login on the primary database. The database-level user information gets replayed on the secondary servers, but the login information does not. Everything will work fine - until you have a failover. In this situation, you will need to synchronize the login and user information

----------------------------------------

Santosh Singh

Friday, June 6, 2014 4:31 PM
  • I think there is no application running on this.Its occurring continuously.

Yes, but do you want the login to succeed, or do you want to get rid of the error mesage?

The db exists in the server.

Obviously, you could add NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM as user to that database, but do you want to permit an unknown application access your server?

Have you investigate what is running on the client given in the error message?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Friday, June 6, 2014 5:33 PM

All replies

• You can see this link:

Identifying the source of SQL Server login failures (18456 errors)

sqldevelop.wordpress.com

Friday, June 6, 2014 6:10 AM
  • You can try setting default database for login as desired and check.

Also check db is online and accessible for all or not as it might be in restoring mode.

Also check the password part.

Santosh Singh

Friday, June 6, 2014 6:49 AM
  • We are continuously observing the below server some serves.

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database 'XXXX'. [CLIENT: XXX]

I recreated the login.It didnot work.

What is detailed message in error log can you please post it here. There must be error number severity etc. That would help us fileter down cause

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Friday, June 6, 2014 8:13 AM
  • So does that database in the error message exist or not?

And more importantly, what is the actual problem? That the error message creates noice and you don't want to see it? Or is there an application that is not working?

We need to know the answers to understand what problem you are actually trying to solve.

Friday, June 6, 2014 8:19 AM
  • Hi Shanky.

Friday, June 6, 2014 2:46 PM

Friday, June 6, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Hi Shanky.

Please see below link look for state 38 message

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2011/01/14/sql-server-v-next-denali-additional-states-for-error-18456.aspx

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Friday, June 6, 2014 3:08 PM
  • Please share more details about this database and server and usage. Is it part of log-shipping, db auto-close is enabled, did db drop recently and logins are not mapped or somebody mistakenly played with login of this user.

Check below cases if any suits to your case and update.

Have you ever closed that SSMS and opened again and tried checking.

Some how db state is changing, it seems.

---------------------------------------

The database specified in the connection string, or selected in the Options > Connection Properties tab of the SSMS connection dialog, is no longer valid or online (it might be set to AutoClose or the user may simply not have permission).  I came across this once when I typed <default> here instead of picking that option from the list.  This is reported as state 27 or state 16 prior to SQL Server 2008. 

Note that this could also be a symptom of an orphaned login. After establishing mirroring, Availability Groups, log shipping, etc. you may have created a new login or associated a user with a login on the primary database. The database-level user information gets replayed on the secondary servers, but the login information does not. Everything will work fine - until you have a failover. In this situation, you will need to synchronize the login and user information

----------------------------------------

Santosh Singh

Friday, June 6, 2014 4:31 PM

Yes, but do you want the login to succeed, or do you want to get rid of the error mesage?

Obviously, you could add NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM as user to that database, but do you want to permit an unknown application access your server?

Have you investigate what is running on the client given in the error message?

Friday, June 6, 2014 5:33 PM