none
ODBC drivers RRS feed

• Question

• I appreciate in advance any advice or insight that anyone may have to offer.
    I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post to but I belive its atleast related.
    Here is my setup / situation.

I have a windows 2003 server with SQL 2000 server, IIS, Active Dir. etc.
    My company has 3 main databases which are are all 3rd party programs as follows:

dbase 1.) Financial- running on SQL server , no issues.It has some entries in the odbc manager for system dsn

and some folders that lead me to belive that it installed or has some dependancies on mdac 2.7.

dbase 2.) Estimating and production control-written in VFoxpro On SQL server with clients using 4 system dsn's

that rely on the VFoxPro driver ver 6.01.8629.01

dbase 3.) Inspection and barcoding- written in VFoxpro. clients do not have dsn connections showing in odbc

manager. This dbase is designed to send some data to dbase 2 from the barcode scanners and i think it is using

an SQL passthru as it appears quite different in the enterprise manager than 1 and 2 above.

I am attempting to setup an odbc connection to dbase 3 to link it to an access dabase that i have built to query

dbases 2 and 3. When i try to select the Vfoxpro driver during the setup i get a message with no ref.# telling

me that i must first install the VFoxpro driver. If I attempt to view the configuration of the existing DSN's

for dbase 2 (the client is also on the server) I get the same message. There are 3-4 foxprodrivers listed on the

drivers tab of the odbc manager.

I have the following questions:
    a) Why does it show that the drivers are installed in the odbc manager but will not let me view them in use or

use them.
    b) which driver do i need to install to insure that there are no conflicts with the existing programs and where

do I get it current version on the sever is listed as 1.00.02.00.
    c) If I was going to try and upsize my access dbase which uses linked tables can I setup and use a linked server

instead once I get this driver issue resolved.

Thanx again to anyone taking the time to read and or respond and I can provide more info if required.
    BobC

Friday, July 21, 2006 12:00 PM