none
Microsoft Visual studio is unable to load this document. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.._SSIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I have been using SSIS 2005 for the last couple of years in my personal laptop, under Windows 7 Home Premium OS, and SQL Server Service pack 4.  I have not been able to load any of the scores of SSIS packages that I have created so far.  I repeatedly get the error message:

Microsoft Visual studio is unable to load this document. Object reference not set to an instance of an object  - in SSIS BIDS 2005

I have never had this issue before.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

S

• Edited by sph1777 Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:48 PM
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:35 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

Thanks for your help in the last 3 weeks. Greatly appreciate it.

I installed Visual Studio C# 2008 Express Edition and am able to open the packages in BIDS SSIS 2005.  Finally got it sorted out.

The main problem in ' Microsoft Visual studio is unable to load this document. Object reference not set to an instance of an object ' error in SSIS is that some of the small installation files (esp. dll) get corrupted.  As a result even the SSMS get affected ( with some sort of a visual studio error), in the sense that you cannot open the 'Design' by right clicking a table, or open the database diagram, though you can run a query and retrieve data from a table.

The best solution in to install a version of Microsoft Visual Studio (not the entire SQL Server itself).  This takes care of some of the corrupted or missing files in the BIDS (as BIDS by itself is a subset of Microsoft Visual Studio for working in SQL Server database)

Again appreciate all of you guys.

Thanks.

S

• Marked as answer by sph1777 Sunday, May 6, 2012 5:31 AM
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi sph1777,

Could you please try to run these two commands and then see if it works for you:

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

regsvr32 msxml6.dll

And here is a similar thread, please refer to:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/52b10adf-1c8b-4f30-918c-b199ce50155b/

Thanks,
    Eileen

Monday, April 16, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Hi Eileen,

Thanks a lot for your reply.  I tried both the commands and ran successfully, but the problem still persists.

In another forum, I read installing SQL Server 2000 might be a solution, but I am not sure whether SQL Server 2000 and 2005 can exist together in the same machine, under Windows 7 OS.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Is there any other solution for this problem?

Monday, April 16, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Hi, sph1777

Eileen gave a link to the similar thread - there are two more DLLs you can try to register -

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll

regsvr32 actxprxy.dll

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Hi Sergey,

I tried both.  I get  :  

The module ''actxprxy.dll'' was loaded but the call to DII Register Server failed with the error code 0x80070005. For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as search item.

The module ''oleaut32.dll'' was loaded but the call to DII Register Server failed with the error code 0x80070005. For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as search item.

I do not understand this.  Can you help me?

sph1777

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:14 AM
  • Hi sph1777

bad news..

Review your Visual Studio add-ins. These issues also can be caused by incorrect third-party integration.

please let me know the result... 

S.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:36 AM
  • Hi Sergey,

Thanks a lot for your reply.  

I am not so familiar with installation related  issues.  Can you let me know on how to review the visual studio add-ins?

Thanks.

S

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Hi, sph1777

Have a look at menu Tools->Add-in Manager - do you have anything there?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:44 AM
  • Hi Sergey,

I checked the add-ins, din't find anything.   Would you suggest installing SQL Server 2008 or 2000 to resolve this issue, or is there anything else I can do?

Please let me know.

S

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Hi, sph1777,

I saw somewhere that problem similar to your was resolved by SQL Server reinstalling... I understand that it is not the most convenient and easy way to get solution, but..

Try to re-install SQL Server..

Regards,

S.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Hi Sergey,

The problem is with SQL Server 2005.   If I install SQL Server 2000 or 2008, would it be solved? I do not want to reinstall SQL Server 2005.  Pls let me know.

Thanks.

• Edited by sph1777 Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:21 AM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:21 AM
  • Hi, sph1777

I'm sure in your case 2008 is only the choice. ) forget about 2000 ))

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Hi Sergey,

Would installing SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2008 R2 affect the BIDS or SSMS in the SQL Server 2005, which is in my system now?  I have all my packages, and would like to work in BIDS 2005 only.

Please let me know.

Thanks .

S

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:55 PM
  • Hi, sph1777

Yep.. 2008 will require to convert all 2005-styled projects to 2008 format so it will be unavailable in 2005 anymore... and you will not be able to connect from SSMS 2005 to 2008 SQL instance..

Hm.....

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:25 PM
  • would installing SQL Server 2000 be a solution?   If 2008 is installed, would the SSMS 2005 be safe with all the databases that I have worked on?

Pls let me know

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Hi sph1777,

The SSMS 2005 woudl be safe with all the databases if you installed SQL Server 2008.

Thanks,
    Eileen

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:50 AM
  • Hi Eileen, Sergey,

Thanks for your responses.

Even if SSMS 2005 is safe, how much does BIDS change ?  Can I run SSIS 2005 packages in BIDS 2008? Would the packages still run fine?

Please let me know.  Otherwise, I can try running SQL Server 2000 personal edition.

Thanks.

S

Monday, April 23, 2012 5:37 PM
  • If you developed a SSIS package in a lower-version of BIDS and try to open it in a higher version of BIDS (now called SQL Server Data Tools in SQL 2012), BIDS will prompt you to upgrade (convert) the package to higer version. During the conversion, you can choose to keep a lower-version backup of the original package but you won't be able to run it natively in higher version of BIDS environment. Not sure if that is something you'd realy want to do unless you do take this up as a migration exercise for all you ETL packages and deploy them again to your Production environent.

Hope this help!

Cheers!!

Muqadder.

Monday, April 23, 2012 9:35 PM
  • Hi All,

I installed SQL Server 2000 personal edition, but to no avail.  The problem still persists.  It looks to me that most of the files with .dll (Microsoft dynamic link library) extension are not working properly.

Whenever I try to run a file with .dll extension (among the SQL Server installation files), I get :

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

I think if I check the registry, the problem could be sorted out.  But I do not have any idea on how to proceed from here.

Can somebody give me some suggestion? Greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

S

Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:11 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for your help in the last 3 weeks. Greatly appreciate it.

I installed Visual Studio C# 2008 Express Edition and am able to open the packages in BIDS SSIS 2005.  Finally got it sorted out.

The main problem in ' Microsoft Visual studio is unable to load this document. Object reference not set to an instance of an object ' error in SSIS is that some of the small installation files (esp. dll) get corrupted.  As a result even the SSMS get affected ( with some sort of a visual studio error), in the sense that you cannot open the 'Design' by right clicking a table, or open the database diagram, though you can run a query and retrieve data from a table.

The best solution in to install a version of Microsoft Visual Studio (not the entire SQL Server itself).  This takes care of some of the corrupted or missing files in the BIDS (as BIDS by itself is a subset of Microsoft Visual Studio for working in SQL Server database)

Again appreciate all of you guys.

Thanks.

S

• Marked as answer by sph1777 Sunday, May 6, 2012 5:31 AM
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 5:31 AM