Visual Studio 2013 Support for SSDT and SSDT-BI RRS feed

• Question

• I see that parts of the SQL Server Data Tools are baked into Visual Studio 2013 RC.  Any plans to keep pace with the Business Intelligence components as well?  For complex solutions that ship both code and BI components it would be useufl to have full support all around.
    Monday, September 30, 2013 4:12 PM

Answers

• Hi ColinBowern,

Currently, there is no SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2013 to support BI project templates. The SSDT supported by SQL Server 2014 natively is also the SQL Server Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2012. However, I don’t know the roadmap of SSDT (BI) for Visual Studio 2013. Personally, I don’t think it will be released soon. Here, I would suggest you submit a wish at https://connect.microsoft.com/sql.

Connect site is a connection point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the larger community. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, and you can learn about and contribute to exciting projects.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mike Yin Monday, October 7, 2013 5:00 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 6:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Colin, I'm moving your question to the SSIS forum since they may be able to answer questions on SSDT-BI and Visual Studio 2013 integration there.
    Monday, September 30, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Hi ColinBowern,

Currently, there is no SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2013 to support BI project templates. The SSDT supported by SQL Server 2014 natively is also the SQL Server Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2012. However, I don’t know the roadmap of SSDT (BI) for Visual Studio 2013. Personally, I don’t think it will be released soon. Here, I would suggest you submit a wish at https://connect.microsoft.com/sql.

Connect site is a connection point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the larger community. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, and you can learn about and contribute to exciting projects.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mike Yin Monday, October 7, 2013 5:00 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 6:36 AM
  • I submitted a Connect suggestion to request this functionality - you can vote for it if you think this would be useful:

SSDT-BI: Add Visual Studio 2013 support to SQL Server Data Tools for Business Intelligence

• Proposed as answer by michael_bru Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by michael_bru Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:30 PM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 5:22 PM
  • I followed the above link and tried to post a comment but had trouble. Has anyone from MS acknowledged that thiis product will continue in 2013 and beyond? If history repeats itself, it was 8+ months after VS2012 that SSIS was available h t t p : / / social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/f800376f-c782-4500-8423-22fb1374cae4/visual-studio-2012-ultimate-business-intelligence?forum=vssetup
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:38 PM
  • To develop business intelligence component we require SQL Server Data Tools and Business Intelligence Template to be installed. As of now Microsoft has not released SQL Server Data Tools and Business Intelligence Template for Visual Studio 2013, but it will be available in next 2 months. 

This trend we had seen in past release as well like VS2012. SSDT and BI template released after 3 months, so you can expect that much delay. 

• Proposed as answer by GrvGupta Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:27 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:45 PM
  • SSDT that supports SQL Server 2014 databases is now available. SQL Server Data Tools for SQL Server 2014 CTP2 is pre-release software, does not support upgrade from an existing SSDT install or upgrading to any new versions of SSDT to be released, and should be installed only on a clean machine.

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40850

Note: This toolset should not be used against production SQL Server databases.

Few known issues:

• Modifying a Memory Optimized table will drop and recreate the table during deployment without moving data.  This could result in data loss.  We suggest moving data to a temporary table before deploying changes through SSDT. 
    • There are instances where running Extended TSQL verification will cause Visual Studio to close when publishing a database project.  We recommend turning off the Extended TSQL verification option in the database project properties.
    • Default constraints on a Memory Optimized table are not recognized by SSDT when working in the SQL Server object browser or initially publishing a project.  If you have them in your project and do additional publish, SSDT will try to alter the table to add the default constraint which is not supported on memory optimized tables.
    • The table designer design pane will not support all new properties. Users can work around this by typing the syntax into the script pane.
    • The data compression option on clustered column store indexes is not supported.
    • Proposed as answer by GrvGupta Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:37 AM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:32 AM
  • SSDT that supports SQL Server 2014 databases is now available. SQL Server Data Tools for SQL Server 2014 CTP2 is pre-release software, does not support upgrade from an existing SSDT install or upgrading to any new versions of SSDT to be released, and should be installed only on a clean machine.

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40850

Note: This toolset should not be used against production SQL Server databases.

Few known issues:

• Modifying a Memory Optimized table will drop and recreate the table during deployment without moving data.  This could result in data loss.  We suggest moving data to a temporary table before deploying changes through SSDT. 
    • There are instances where running Extended TSQL verification will cause Visual Studio to close when publishing a database project.  We recommend turning off the Extended TSQL verification option in the database project properties.
    • Default constraints on a Memory Optimized table are not recognized by SSDT when working in the SQL Server object browser or initially publishing a project.  If you have them in your project and do additional publish, SSDT will try to alter the table to add the default constraint which is not supported on memory optimized tables.
    • The table designer design pane will not support all new properties. Users can work around this by typing the syntax into the script pane.
    • The data compression option on clustered column store indexes is not supported.

Thanks, It is very helpful
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:41 AM
  • In Visual Studio 2012 we had an option under the SQL menu that allowed us to "Check for Updates". This option disappeared in Visual Studio 2013.

Will notifications of SSDT Updates appear somewhere? Maybe in the Notifications?

www.insteptech.com ; msmvps.com/blogs/deborahk
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 12:33 AM
  • Any update here? I just installed fresh VS 2013 and SQL 2014 CTP2 and there is no option "SQL Server 2014" in the dropdown "Target Platform". Please advice.
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:32 AM