none
SQLSERVR.EXE High Commit Usage causing a low virtual memory condition RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few 2012 R2 Servers, recently I've been noticing system instability and the following messages in the event log relating to the Windows Internal Database(as that's the only SQL installed):

Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: sqlservr.exe (2388) consumed 4406611968 bytes, w3wp.exe (1364) consumed 180613120 bytes, and mcshield.exe (2112) consumed 111489024 bytes.

I've tried using SQL Management Studio to set a maximum memory and still get the same issue, I've tried increasing the Swap File with similar results. 

sqlservr.exe uses very little RAM 100-200MB, The total WID size is about 35MB, So I have no clue on what's going on the COMMIT Size fills up to about 98% of the swap file size within seconds of starting the WID service and slowly grows until I start getting error's and the systems start locking up.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:59 PM

Answers

• Guys,

i found my problem in my environment, was a mcafee problem, we recently installed MCafee Hips and DLP on this server, and i dont know why this application do a high commit in this service.

inmediatly we unninstall HIPS and DLP the problem solved.

i hope this information help in ur environment.

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:29 PM

All replies

• How much ram, and how big is the page file?

See generally, http://blogs.technet.com/b/mikelag/archive/2010/09/04/detecting-low-virtual-memory-conditions-in-windows-2008.aspx

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:45 PM
  • Hello,

This issue is not related to SQL server but to Windows OS.You also have Application and Database hosted on same box.

I guess page file setting is not proper

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:10 PM
  • 2 Are Virtual Machines with 4G allocated to them

1 is a Physical with 8GB.

The page files were 12G, 12 G and 14G respectively

The Commit Memory usage is over the page files.

To test now one page file is 38G and the commit from SQL is over that again.

Friday, March 21, 2014 12:18 AM
  • In your post your SQL Server only has 4GB committed.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Friday, March 21, 2014 1:56 PM
  • Sorry, this is from me troubleshooting the SWAP file was 4 GB during this error, I set the SWAP file to 32 GB and when the system gave me the same error I shrank it down to 4 GB before setting it back at os controlled
    Friday, March 21, 2014 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem in my box. i have a rdp server with windows server 2012. i have 32 GB RAM and a page file with 36GB.  the committed of this services "sqlservr.exe" is about 67GB. dunno why, i will update this when i find the problem.

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:13 PM
  • Guys,

i found my problem in my environment, was a mcafee problem, we recently installed MCafee Hips and DLP on this server, and i dont know why this application do a high commit in this service.

inmediatly we unninstall HIPS and DLP the problem solved.

i hope this information help in ur environment.

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Hi Zachary,

I’m writing to follow up with you on this post. Was the problem resolved after performing our action plan steps? If you are satisfied with our solution, I’d like to mark this issue as "Answered". Please also feel free to unmark the issue, with any new findings or concerns you may have.

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 28, 2014 2:56 AM
  • Hello,

I am getting the same issue in multiple windows 2012 servers with WID. I also have Mcafee installed. I have added the %windir%\WID\* to the exclusions list but still getting the same issue.

Do you still have the action plan steps that I can use to troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks

Warwick M

Thursday, October 23, 2014 2:09 AM