none
Why the parameter pane hidden , in drill through reports , SSRS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I just started working with a drill through report , where 2 reports are linked back and forth.  In the designer each report shows the parameter pane even after linking to the other report. But in server, after deploying the report, the parameter pane is vissible just for the starting report and just for the first time. when i click on the link and get the drill through report the parameter pane is hidden . Is this the way it is given in SSRS 2005. Or  is there any way i can show the parameter pane in the drill through reports. Also is there any functionality which differentiate the report whether its called directly or through a link from another report, because i would like to hide some  in the drill through reports fields  if the report is been called as linked report.

Please advise.

Thanks,
    San
    Friday, April 24, 2009 1:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi San,

Since the purpose of a drill-down report is to pass the parameters from the master report to the details report, you wouldn't want users to see or modify the parameters in the details report.  Therefore, the parameter pane is automatically hidden in the details report.

Steve
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 1:25 AM
  • Hi San,

Steve is right, this is the default behavior. to jump to a target report with parameter pane, you can use jump to URL and set the parameters to be true, like this:

http://<Server Name>/reportserver?/Sales/YearlySalesSummary&rs:Command=Render&rs:Format=HTML4.0&rc:Parameters=true

Here is a document about
    Using URL Access Parameters

Hope this helps.

Raymond

Monday, April 27, 2009 7:12 AM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your reply , that helps alot. it works fine now. But i have one more concern, right now the linked report is opening in the same window of the linking report, how do i change it so that it will open in a new window. is that possible?

Plz comment

San
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:10 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your reply , that helps alot. it works fine now. But i have one more concern, right now the linked report is opening in the same window of the linking report, how do i change it so that it will open in a new window. is that possible?

Plz comment

San
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:10 PM
  •       Hope this helps. 
          Raymond

Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:28 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please tell me what is this  reportserver?

do we have to manually give the value or will taht be substituted at run?
    i tried globals reportserverurl but looks like its not substituting, it  just gave me servername/Reportserver

Please Comment

San
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Using Jump to URL.

Here is an example of a Jump to URL link I use. This causes Excel to come up with the data in a separate window:

="javascript:void(window.open('" & Globals!ReportServerUrl & "?/SomeFolder/SomeReport&ParamName=" & Parameters!ParamName.Value','_blank'))"

If you don't want to have it appear in a new window then do this in jump to URL:

=Globals!ReportServerUrl & "?/SomeFolder/SomeReport&ParamName=" & Parameters!ParamName.Value"

ReportServer is reporting services. Reports is Report Manager the portal that ships with Reporting Services. Report Manager makes calls to ReportServer too.

Globals!ReportServerUrl is doing what it should. This allows you to not have to hard code your path. Now you need to append folder, reportname, and parameters. Remember that parameters are case sensitive.

The books online have lots more you can do with this. Search under URL.

--
    Bruce Loehle-Conger
    MVP SQL Server Reporting Services

"Brijit" wrote in message news:5dd92587-95fb-47c 5-b8ce-5d494393c0cf...
    Hi,

Could you please tell me what is this  reportserver?

do we have to manually give the value or will taht be substituted at run?
    i tried globals reportserverurl but looks like its not substituting, it  just gave me servername/Reportserver

Please Comment

San
    Friday, June 19, 2009 4:01 PM
  • instead of using the drill through, I found a solution by "go to url".

SSRS - MS SQL Server 2008 R2

inside a TEXTBOX
    go to the text box properties (F4 or right click->properties)
    go to action
    set go to URL
    set up the following code within the expression (the little Fx at the right):

="http://MYSERVER/ReportServer?/MY REPORT FOLDER/MY REPORT NAME&rc:Parameters=True&rs:Command=Render&TODAY="
    & CStr(Fields!DT_0.Value)
    & "&ENG=" & CStr(Fields!Employee_id.Value)
    & "&DT_TO=" & CStr(Fields!DT_6.Value)

this is working here.
    notice the 3 parameters

parameter 1 is called TODAY
    parameter 2 is called ENG
    parameter 3 is called DT_TO

Their values come from different datasets.

hope this helps ans save someone much time.
    Because for me it was difficult to make it work
    Marcelo Miorelli - july 2013

Friday, July 5, 2013 12:00 PM
  • Steve,

That reply is arrogant, bordering harsher words.

"...you wouldn't want users to see or modify the parameters in the details report"

I do. I want to drillthrough looking at the report in one specific way from the master, but I certainly want to give my users the ability to play around with parameters of the report. To accomplish this very simple goal thousands of developers are now hacking through a URL. Please, have some sense.

Regards,

Thomas Petersen

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:04 PM
  • Agreed.  It seems like the report designer should have the ability to make this kind of decision.
    Friday, January 17, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Thx, I coulnd't agree ,more. Still the same in SQL/SSRS 2014. 

I want users to be able to jump to a sub report and when they jump back being able to readjust the parameters...

So the "go to report" action is kind of useless or annoying here, if I need to Build an URL / javascript to call the report.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 1:57 PM