none
Feature Wish List for Proposed BULK EXPORT in T-SQL

All replies

• Voted. I think we need to have a mechanism to save a file (XML, CSV, etc.) from the query without a need for xp_cmdshell procedure. It should be somehow built in in the SQL Server.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:03 PM
  • I voted it up; I have wanted this for a while -- really going back in to the previous millenium.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:29 PM
  • You got my vote.
    Abdallah El-Chal, PMP, ITIL, MCTS
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:49 PM
  • I can only say that it is amazing that there is no such command already. xp_cmdshell is disabled by default for a reason. And, OK, you don't need to enable xp_cmdshell to run BCP from SQL Server - you can write a CLR procedure. And this is better, because it be dedicated only to run BCP and not be a door open for everyone.

But nevertheless, what most people do is to enable xp_cmdshell. So there is all reason for MS to provide a BULK EXPORT command.

As for what it should do, I think it should do what BCP can do, no more no less. If you want to write XLS files, use linked servers or better SSIS.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Links for SQL Server Books Online: SQL 2008, SQL 2005 and  SQL 2000.
    (Just click the link you need.)
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:01 PM
  • I voted it up; I have wanted this for a while -- really going back in to the previous millenium.

Wonder how many votes it takes to happen before the next millenium?

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM

Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:49 AM
  • Would certainly be nice, I have voted it up
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:56 AM
  • I can only say that it is amazing that there is no such command already.

Simply incredible. There is BULK INSERT for data in. No T-SQL command (like the proposed BULK EXPORT) for data out.

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 6:03 AM