none
What is the difference between "Job Owner", "Run as" and "Log on to the server" Acounts in Job(Created to Schedule a SSIS package)? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a job to schedule a SSIS package.

The job is using there different accounts.

1. Job Owner

2. Run as(using Proxy account)

3. Log on to the server

Can any one Explain this?

I want to know difference between "Job Owner", "Run as"(using Proxy account) and "Log on to the server" Acounts in the Job(Created to Schedule a SSIS package).

If we use Windows authentication for "Log on to the Server" Will it use SQL Server service account credentials or "Run as" account credentials?

If we use the SLQ Authentication, is it necessory to have rights on SSIS package source and destination for that SLQ Login?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:03 PM

Answers

• Hello HYDBA,

Re #1: Job Owner is just a placeholder for a job owing object, oftentimes has no importance at at all, but if it has the sysadmin authority, the job would run under the SQL Agent security context, unless:

#2: Run as(using Proxy account) is specified, then this step will execute under the context of what is specified there.

If the Job Owner is not the sa and no Run As was filled in then the job's step will execute under the job owner security context.

#3:One should not worry about logging onto the server. #2 defines the security context under which the package runs and in most cases should be set to a domain account proxy. I often create a special Windows Domain service account to run packages e.g. WD_SvcAcc_Package_Runner.

Best practices to schedule a SSIS Job using Agent: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/Schedule__Run__SSIS__DTS.aspx

Arthur My Blog
    By: TwitterButtons.com
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:23 PM