none
Execute SSIS package from client system RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Please help!!   I have a package deployed on server which needs a input location where multiple input files will be there..  When we run the package it generates output file in output location..  simple package....

Here many client needs to run this package with there input files.....  when the place input files an run it has to give output file.

Here Client does not have integration services installed on there machines..  from there machine they have to trigger the package on server then server has to give output at desigred location..   Client will pass input and ouput location of his local machine.. 

How to deploy this package?  Can we trigger from client location with input and ouput locations?

Please help.

Areef

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:47 PM

Answers

• I see what the author of the post came up with, this is not looking professional and it is error prone, and you need to pester the remote machine with scheduled tasks and take care to remove them, in a multi-user environment you need to name each job uniquely and then make sure the job completed then remove it. Detecting the job completion (successful or not) will be your major challenge.

So in my opinion this is a no go.

Arthur My Blog

• Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:46 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Areef,

Obviously you need to host this package where SSIS is installed and create a GUI communicating with the package.

I suggest you create an app that runs the SQL command sp_start_job which will start the Agent job hosting your package.

To pass the input and output paths you can add a configuration to the package that is db table based and set it remotely from the app.

Arthur My Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Arthur,

I have a batch file on server, when you run that batch file it will execute my package. 

Can I run this batch file from client machine?....  and can I pass input and outut location details as parameters to batch file on server?

Please help!!

Areef

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:57 PM
  • You are welcome Areef,

Unfortunately, I have to tell you cannot.

The bat would be run in the client space, which in turn appears to have no SSIS, this is why.

Arthur My Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:01 PM
  • correct me if I am wrong, usually we can run batch file remotely refer

http://fraaargh.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/remotly-launch-a-batch-file-on-a-windows-computer/

What I thought is, if I have a batch file on server with package execution details and accepting input and output locations as paramters.

I think I can do in this way...

If we have this way... please share the batch script at client and server locations.

Please help..

• Edited by AreefAli Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:17 PM more into
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:08 PM
  • I see what the author of the post came up with, this is not looking professional and it is error prone, and you need to pester the remote machine with scheduled tasks and take care to remove them, in a multi-user environment you need to name each job uniquely and then make sure the job completed then remove it. Detecting the job completion (successful or not) will be your major challenge.

So in my opinion this is a no go.

Arthur My Blog

• Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:46 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:23 PM