none
Attributes selected from multiple dimensions is resulting in cross join when a measure is not selected, although they are linked through a fact table RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Table structure that I am using and the relation between those tables are uploaded in below path:

Table Structure

Relationship between tables is as below

I want to see the attributes PA_ID(from Partner), CustomerName(from Customer), CompliantFlag(from PartnerCustomerTenant).

But if I drag these 3 fields from 3 different dimensions, it is resulting in a cross join. Please see the below screen shot 

Have created a measure "CusCount:= DISTINCTCOUNT(Test_FactSales[Cus_ID])". If I analyze the data with this measure, I am able to see data appropriately.

Can you please confirm if this is the default behaviour of tabular model. Or is it possible to make any changes, so that I can see attributes of different dimension without adding any measure

Raksha

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Raksha,

Thanks for posting here.

Yes. it is the default behavior for pivot table report in excel. If you want to see all the attributes of different dimension, you could turn to pivot table data area, right click to popup menu> select pivot table options> turn to display tab>

uncheck the box Show items with no data on rows.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:12 AM
  • Hi Will,

Thanks for the response.

My question was on the cross-join.

If we are not selecting any measure, it is resulting in a cross-join.

Can you please let me know if we can avoid selecting a measure and still see the correct data.

Raksha

Thursday, April 18, 2019 8:48 AM
  • The data you're seeing is technically correct because you're not using bidirectional filtering. Thus a filter originating from one of the 'dimension' table crosses over to the 'fact', but can't move on to other 'dimensions' because of filters' direction.

Expect me to help you solve your problems, not to solve your problems for you.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 11:38 AM
  • Can you please let me know if we can avoid selecting a measure and still see the correct data.

What do you mean by the sentence above? I have said that this is default behavior of pivot table option in excel, couldn't exactly get your real thought.

Any further update about your problem?

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 19, 2019 8:39 AM