none
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.ObjectModel' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040) RRS feed

• Question

• Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.ObjectModel' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

===========================================================

This is a SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition of SSRS.

I am getting this error when navigating to http://servername/Reports. The reports site was working fine, until I installed a SQL 2014 Developer instance (including SSRS) on the same server.

I can still get to the http://servername/ReportServer site.

Neither of these are using Sharepoint.

Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Below is the stack trace.

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.ObjectModel' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)] System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection) +0 System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +416 System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +166 System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +35 System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +190 [ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.ObjectModel' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)] System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +1149 System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory() +323 System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo ai) +116 System.Web.Configuration.AssemblyInfo.get_AssemblyInternal() +36 System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig) +212 System.Web.Compilation.WebDirectoryBatchCompiler..ctor(VirtualDirectory vdir) +174 System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.BatchCompileWebDirectoryInternal(VirtualDirectory vdir, Boolean ignoreErrors) +57 System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) +295 System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +482 System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +108 System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert) +171 System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert) +52 System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath) +53 System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +519 System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +176 System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +274

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 11:14 PM

Answers

• SSRS for my 2012 instance definitely did not include any SharePoint components. However, it appears that I may have missed this during the later install of my 2014 instance. Here is what I did.

Under Control Panel / Programs & Features, I uninstalled "Microsoft SQL Server 2014 RS Add-in for SharePoint". I stopped and restarted the SSRS services for both my 2012 and 2014 instances. After this, SSRS for my 2012 was still not working.

Next, under Control Panel / Programs & Features, I selected "Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (64-bit), and did an Uninstall-Change, and selected remove. Navigating through, I got to the Select Features page. Under Shared Features, I checked "Reporting Services - SharePoint" and proceed to remove it.

Upon completion, I restarted the SSRS services for both my 2012 and 2014 instances. After this, both of the SSRS sites for 2012 and 2014 instances are working as expected. So my issue is resolved.

I am still not clear why a setting or feature inclusion in my 2014 instance was affecting my 2012 instance.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Glen,

Did you install any sharrpoint compoment? The issue can be caused  by the sharepoint component, If possible, please try to Uninstalled Sharepoint component to see if you will still got the error.

Regards,

Swallow

Thursday, April 2, 2015 9:52 AM
  • To the best of my knowledge, I did not install any Sharepoint components. I will go back and double-check

Thursday, April 2, 2015 8:27 PM
  • SSRS for my 2012 instance definitely did not include any SharePoint components. However, it appears that I may have missed this during the later install of my 2014 instance. Here is what I did.

Under Control Panel / Programs & Features, I uninstalled "Microsoft SQL Server 2014 RS Add-in for SharePoint". I stopped and restarted the SSRS services for both my 2012 and 2014 instances. After this, SSRS for my 2012 was still not working.

Next, under Control Panel / Programs & Features, I selected "Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (64-bit), and did an Uninstall-Change, and selected remove. Navigating through, I got to the Select Features page. Under Shared Features, I checked "Reporting Services - SharePoint" and proceed to remove it.

Upon completion, I restarted the SSRS services for both my 2012 and 2014 instances. After this, both of the SSRS sites for 2012 and 2014 instances are working as expected. So my issue is resolved.

I am still not clear why a setting or feature inclusion in my 2014 instance was affecting my 2012 instance.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 11:14 PM
  • Hi Glen,

"The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference." is generally caused by the loaded assembly's version is different than the expected version application refers to.

In this case, it should be caused by:

1. While starting Report Manager, the backend process ReportingServiceService need to load assemblies it refers to
    2. ReportingServiceService reads the compilation/assemblies element from web.config(under Report Manager virtual patch)
    3. If the compilation/assemblies is not existing, ReportingServiceService loads all assemblies from Bin folder. It can be verified from call stack System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory(). ReportingServiceService uses System.Reflection.Assembly.Load with the assemblies' name only to load assemblies.
    4. The Assembly.Load tries to load from the specify assembly by name from GAC at first. If it is found from GAC, it won't be loaded from Bin folder any more.

Since Reporting Service SharePoint Integration mode is installed, a same assembly of 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.ObjectModel' with different version might be installed to the GAC. That causes the error "The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference."

For more information about the error message and the loading process, please see:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/junfeng/archive/2004/03/25/95826.aspx
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yx7xezcf(v=vs.100).aspx

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Friday, April 3, 2015 9:38 AM
  • Jinchun

okay good information but how do you fix it?

thanks,

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:32 PM
  • Thanks very much; I had the same problem while installing SQL Server 2016/SSRS 2016, while I already had 2012.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e5b683f5-9710-449d-9686-f353126984a6/microsoft-ssrs-2012-report-manager-http-500-error-the-website-cannot-display-the-pagewhile?forum=sqlreportingservices

You have explicitly mentioned the solution step-by-step. I followed and sorted out the same issue with 2016.

• Edited by sph1777 Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:17 PM
    • Proposed as answer by sph1777 Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:17 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:14 PM