none
All CPUs averaging 96-100% usage RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently taken over administration of a SQL 2008 server that is used for SharePoint, after going through only a week of training on SQL 2008...heh.

The SQL Server: Our SQL server has four quad core CPUs, 72 GB of memory, and a number of SAN drives which are all very fast. 

The Problem: All 16 CPUs are averaging 96-100% all day, every day. The root cause is that there are a lot of huge jobs which users have created on SharePoint. I cannot really tell them to get rid of the jobs as they are all needed for business reasons.

The Buffer Cache Hit Ratio is an average of 100 and the Memory Pages/sec is an average of 0. These are both all day, every day. Because of this I am guessing that memory will not help alleviate the CPU loads.

Am I looking at having to add more CPUs? Is there anything else that can be done or that I should look at?

Thanks for any help you can give a new DBA on this issue :)

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:57 PM

Answers

• SharePoint with SQL 2008 usually take 100% CPU due to lag of service pack.
    Later service pack of SharePoint fix this already, please check.

I have ever got 100% CPU during crawler service of SharePoint start running.
    Stop crawler service make CPU down to 5%. But finally we patch latest service pack both SQL and SharePoint, problem gone.

Good Luck

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:25 PM