none
SQL in new machine shows error 'FCB::Open failed: Could not open file F:\Data\tempdb.mdf for file number 1. OS error: 3(The system cannot find the path specified.)' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

SQL server service is not running in my new Azure VM. If I start it the below error is logged in event logger

FCB::Open failed: Could not open file F:\Data\tempdb.mdf for file number 1. OS error: 3(The system cannot find the path specified.)'

I tried starting SQL using minimum configuration from command prompt with '

Sqlservr.exe /f /c  

but facing exception in that too. 

Please help me resolve this ASAP.

Thanks 

• Edited by Sridevi K Wednesday, July 26, 2017 11:00 AM
    • Moved by Sapna Girish Wednesday, July 26, 2017 2:42 PM related to SQL Server
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Satish,

We contacted Microsoft support and they said that this is an issue. In Azure VM with SQL 2014 web edition, SQL searches for tempdb.mdf in F drive. 

This is an issue and they gave the below workaround 

SQL can be started with the below command and we have to alter the path of tempdb to point to c drive. 

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe” -Smssqlserver -c -m”SQLCMD” -T3608

This fixed the issue. 

• Marked as answer by Sridevi K Friday, July 28, 2017 5:43 AM
    Friday, July 28, 2017 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Sridevi,

It seems the TEMPDB location not able to locate " F:\Data\tempdb.mdf "

1) Do you have the valid path of F:\Data\tempdb.mdf

2) Make sure you have a space available on F:\drive

3) Can you please confim, have u did any alter tempdb locations recently?

Thanks,

Thanks, Satish Kumar. Please mark as this post as answered if my anser helps you to resolves your issue :)

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 5:37 PM
  • Confirm that F:\Data exists, and that the SQL runtime account has sufficient permissions.  

If you have F:\Data and correct permissions applied, you could try shutting down the instance, renaming the tempdb.mdf/tempdb.ldf files and try to let SQL recreate them.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:54 PM
  • Hi Satish,

We contacted Microsoft support and they said that this is an issue. In Azure VM with SQL 2014 web edition, SQL searches for tempdb.mdf in F drive. 

This is an issue and they gave the below workaround 

SQL can be started with the below command and we have to alter the path of tempdb to point to c drive. 

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe” -Smssqlserver -c -m”SQLCMD” -T3608

This fixed the issue. 

• Marked as answer by Sridevi K Friday, July 28, 2017 5:43 AM
    Friday, July 28, 2017 5:43 AM