SQL Server 2012 Installation Error: ...\Support2008\sqlsupport.msi RRS feed

• Question

• On Win7 Home Premium SP1: Tried both SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU and SQLEXPR_x64_ENU SQL Server 2012 pkgs with same error. At one time had SQL Server 2008 on this system and thought I had cleaned it up sufficiently. But, for some reason, the installer launches the sqlsupport.msi in the \Support2008 directory instead of the \sqlsupport_msi folder. I have spent DAYS trying to install SQL Server 2012 and am very frustrated. Here is the error reported during installation:

Can anyone help? Anyone seen this before? Let me know if you need more info

Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

The error code 0x800736FD means there are some operating system files that need to be repaired.

I would recommend you to repair or reinstall Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Kgarvey Sunday, February 24, 2013 6:00 PM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 6:55 AM
  • According to

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2004/11/10/255346.aspx

This HRESULT most likely means that there is something wrong with Windows.  I'd suggest the following to see if they help solve this type of error:

1.  Install the latest service pack for the version of Windows that you have on your computer.

2.  Use the System Update Readiness Tool and the steps listed at blogs.msdn.com/.../9303167.aspx to repair your Windows component store.

3.  Use the steps listed at blogs.msdn.com/.../how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx to repair the files that are a part of Windows.

If none of the above help, then you will likely need to repair/re-install Windows to solve this type of error.

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:14 AM