none
Excel Add in updates from wrong location RRS feed

• Question

• Hello together!

I've got a big problem with my add in for excel 2007 and can't find a solution.

I am developing an add in for excel in VS2010. I want the add in to automatically look for updates and install them. So I published the add in to network drive. The I installed the .vsto from the network folder. This works fine, the add in is installed and loading with excel. But when I publish a new version I get an error when I restart excel:

Name:

From: file:///C:/_develop/MeetingAddIn/Source/MeetingAddIn/bin/Debug/MeetingAddIn.vsto

************** Exception Text **************

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.AddInAlreadyInstalledException: The customization cannot be installed because another version is currently installed and cannot be upgraded from this location. To install this version of the customization, first use Add or Remove Programs to uninstall this program: DreaxlmaierMeetingAddIn. Then install the new customization from the following location: file:///C:/_develop/MeetingAddIn/Source/MeetingAddIn/bin/Debug/MeetingAddIn.vsto

bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.VerifySolutionCodebaseIsUnchanged(Uri uri, String subscriptionId, Boolean previouslyInstalled)

bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

My question is: Why does the add in try to update from the release folder and not from the publish folder? When I run the .vsto after a new version is published by myself, the update works fine. So what is the add in doing after detecting the new version?

I hope someone can help.

Regards,
    Marian

Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Marian,

>>Why does the add in try to update from the release folder and not from the publish folder?

Does this error occur on your development machines?

Please have a look at Troubleshooting Office Solution Deployment. You will find the following information.             

When you build an Office solution, the built version is automatically registered. If you have previously published and installed the same solution to your development computer, Visual Studio Tools for Office runtime detects that the installation path for the published version and the built version are different after the solution is next built, rebuilt, or published. The error message says "the customization cannot be installed because another version is currently installed and cannot be upgraded from this location." The registry keys are updated whenever a solution is rebuilt. Therefore, you must uninstall the previous version before you publish, debug, or run the new version.

To prevent the message from appearing, create another user account on your development computer to test your deployment. As an alternative, you can uninstall the version from the list of installed programs on the computer before you next publish, debug, or rebuild the solution.

>> what is the add in doing after detecting the new version?

Every time you load the add-in, VSTO Runtime will check if the assembly is updated. If not, VSTO Runtime will download the new version to the ClickOnce cache. For more information, see Architecture of VSTO Add-ins. You will find the following information

If the VSTO Add-in is trusted to run, the Visual Studio Tools for Office runtime uses the deployment manifest and application manifest to check for assembly updates. If a new version of the assembly is available, the runtime downloads the new version of the assembly to the ClickOnce cache on the client computer.

About how ClickOnce performs updates, please see here.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 20, 2016 6:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Marian,

>>Why does the add in try to update from the release folder and not from the publish folder?

Does this error occur on your development machines?

Please have a look at Troubleshooting Office Solution Deployment. You will find the following information.             

When you build an Office solution, the built version is automatically registered. If you have previously published and installed the same solution to your development computer, Visual Studio Tools for Office runtime detects that the installation path for the published version and the built version are different after the solution is next built, rebuilt, or published. The error message says "the customization cannot be installed because another version is currently installed and cannot be upgraded from this location." The registry keys are updated whenever a solution is rebuilt. Therefore, you must uninstall the previous version before you publish, debug, or run the new version.

To prevent the message from appearing, create another user account on your development computer to test your deployment. As an alternative, you can uninstall the version from the list of installed programs on the computer before you next publish, debug, or rebuild the solution.

>> what is the add in doing after detecting the new version?

Every time you load the add-in, VSTO Runtime will check if the assembly is updated. If not, VSTO Runtime will download the new version to the ClickOnce cache. For more information, see Architecture of VSTO Add-ins. You will find the following information

If the VSTO Add-in is trusted to run, the Visual Studio Tools for Office runtime uses the deployment manifest and application manifest to check for assembly updates. If a new version of the assembly is available, the runtime downloads the new version of the assembly to the ClickOnce cache on the client computer.

About how ClickOnce performs updates, please see here.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, May 20, 2016 6:49 AM
  • Hi Edward,

thanks for your reply! You´re right, the error occurs on the development machine. When I run it on another machine the update works fine!

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Marian

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 10:40 AM
  • Hi Marian,

If your issue has been resolved, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer to close this thread.

Best Regards,

Edward

Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:38 AM